Island of Forvik

Hands across the sea.

Re: Island of Forvik

Postby Sophia » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Greetings all!
praiseworthy is Stuart's (udaldude's) honesty and openness in leaving the guestbook on his website for all to see, however it does draw attention to the fact that a number of shetlanders are angry with him, for severally using their services ( especially the lifeboat rescue for one ) and not contributing financially to the community. I have no way of knowing whether this is the representative view of a majority of the Islanders ,( or even true ) but there are several comments whereby the fact that the Islands were part of Norway and ceded to Scotland through royal marriage, sort of settles the argument for the Islanders, and they feel that Stuart is not contributing economically .... so it seems that the argument around taxation, and sovreignty has been missed and hijacked by the lack of financial independence shown by him. ( please note that this is not my opinion, but that advocated in the guest book apparently by local people)
While I support the intention behind Stuart's actions, there seems to be considerable?/some? local hostility as to how he has gone about his task and this has clouded the issue that he is trying to publicise. It is also unfortunate that he did not check the legal status of the land that he was being 'given' ie, whether it was Mr. Kings' to give, and this has resulted in further acrimony.
It seems to me at this moment that it might be wise to tread carefully as the foundations to this building are not happy and not congruent. It might be seen to be more honorable, since due diligence was not performed, to raise the funds to buy the Island. This would certainly allay many suspicions that I see leveled at Stuart and this worthy project.
All in my totally humble opinion and with the benefit of hindsight.
I have always received, as the major advice when starting any project, that the support of the local population is essential. This is the fundamental foundation for success, this status may not yet have been achieved ?
lol :sun:
Sophia

Postby kevin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Sophia wrote: however it does draw attention to the fact that a number of shetlanders are angry with him, for severally using their services ( especially the lifeboat rescue for one ) and not contributing financially to the community. I have no way of knowing whether this is the representative view of a majority of the Islanders ,( or even true ) but there are several comments whereby the fact that the Islands were part of Norway and ceded to Scotland through royal marriage, sort of settles the argument for the Islanders, and they feel that Stuart is not contributing economically .... so it seems that the argument around taxation, and sovreignty has been missed and hijacked by the lack of financial independence shown by him.
It seems to me at this moment that it might be wise to tread carefully as the foundations to this building are not happy and not congruent. .

Sophia wrote:I have always received, as the major advice when starting any project, that the support of the local population is essential. This is the fundamental foundation for success, this status may not yet have been achieved ?

do I need the support of my village to enter lawful rebellion, should I worry if my neighbours think I'm not contributing economically?
kevin

Postby Sophia » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi Kevin,
it seems I didn't post precisely enough. I hear what you are asking, but , but they were not the points I was making.

1. The point was and is, that no one rescue the Shetland Islanders if they don't want to be rescued. This is their free choice.
2. They might change their minds should the source of such evidence be trusted and respected, this does not appear to be the case.
Especially because the source has not contributed to the island economy but has taken from it. This view has been given by shetlanders.
Forvik was given; and by someone who it appears, had no right to give it, because they had already given the island to someone else - shetlanders are not convinced of the honesty or honour involved in these supposed agreements.
Failing a mandate where the shetlanders have asked for such actions to be initiated by anyone .... what exactly is the point?

If you don't have a large enough base who is convinced of "something", on what basis are you initiating change ? On the basis that you know what is good for them and they don't ?

What you personally do Kevin, would be naturally be no concern of mine if I lived in the same village.
But, that would alter if your actions were altering the course of my life in anyway, especially if you had not obtained my consent to do so.
Yes you should "worry" if your neighbours don't think you are contributing - it might be the case that you are actually taking and not giving - and it would commend you dearly to check and make sure that you are not only taking. Since you asked :grin:
Sophia

Postby consumerpada » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:32 pm

I would be more than happy to contribute to the wider community and I think many others would also, maybe that's all thats needed a bit of back scratchery.... :giggle:

:peace:
Knowledge makes a (wo)man unfit to be a slave." — Frederick Douglass
consumerpada

Postby Sophia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:13 am

:grin:
Sophia

Previous

Return to Affiliates