From JSA to self employed and the tax thing

Income Tax, Council Tax, National Insurance and VAT issues.

From JSA to self employed and the tax thing

Postby Angelight » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Hello

I am somewhat new to fmotl I have been looking at how this works with a system that is in place today. I am still going through the vast sums of info.
I was made redundant from working in a theatre. I have been struggling with unemployment and been on jsa for almost a year now and the stge 4 I am about to enter is an outside org for the gov that keep you penned in seeking work online for 1 your and the rest of the time reading job ads and news papers. This is not for me. The world I wish to engage in is scriptwriting for film/tv and work on film productions. So I need to be out and about to network.
The old jsa system is inadequate in their range of help/money and their restrictions mean I can only seek and apply for full time paye work. This sort of animal is very rare in the writing/filming industry, so I have decided to go self employed.

The issue here is that there is still no steady work or income that I can survive on. The government have a Working Tax Credit to assist in the lean early days of self employed and enable housing benefit to be calculated whilst on low income. To get WTC one must show that you are registered self employed to receive a special tax number and into the system you go otherwise WTC will get stopped and one may have to payback.

I was rather annoyed to find that self employed doesn't really mean that, and one is still scrutinised for income and audited and taxed and so on. As I am not wanting to give my consent to this am I stuck between a rock and a hard place? I do need financial assistance to pay rent and day to day expenses but not want the nefarious hmrc on my tail providing WTC and a tax code. Is there someone who has had similar experience and what are my lawful options? Is there a way round the registration/tax issue? And is there a way I can claim a need for survival money other than the Gov- why is money so ridiculously restricted that it is hard to come by? Appreciate assistance as I am now at a point I need to move out of jsa and into a different arena for about Monday Oct 10th...
Angelight

Re: From JSA to self employed and the tax thing

Postby ForeverKnowledge » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Sorry for the late response, but I found this topic somewhat interesting. I happened to stumble upon it while looking for tax info self employed citizens.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say. Are you trying to say that you're having difficulty finding full time work to coincide with the scriptwriting/theater work that you're doing? I'm guessing that you're opting to be self-employed for this reason, no? Are you having trouble paying your taxes because I certainly know I am. I'm an independent contractor for a wholesale company and I'm stuck paying 15% extra in taxes. Sure does stink.

Anyway, if you could PM me, maybe we can figure stuff out together. :)
Genius always finds itself a century too early.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Who generally handles online payroll at companies?
ForeverKnowledge

Return to Taxes