What is Council Tax really spent on?

Income Tax, Council Tax, National Insurance and VAT issues.

What is Council Tax really spent on?

Postby WireInTheBlood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:36 am

I've heard tales it's used to prop up their pensions etc.

But where do you really, actually find out what it's being used for?

Thanks,

WITB.
WireInTheBlood

Re: What is Council Tax really spent on?

Postby holy vehm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:41 am

you could send a freedom of information request to your local council asking for a complete breakdown of money raised and where it all went.

on average a 1/3 goes to pensions and 1/5 goes to the european regional assemblies which doesnt leave much in the pot.
These figures will only go up over the coming years as will the amount you pay in council tax.

Where we live we are finding that services like refuse collections are being tendered out to outside companies, so pretty soon the council wont actually provide many services direct.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

WireInTheBlood wrote:I've heard tales it's used to prop up their pensions etc.

But where do you really, actually find out what it's being used for?

Thanks,

WITB.

You need to watch some Walter Burien and his ideas about getting the CAFR - once you see his stuff from the States, you will realise the same scam is perpetrated here.

How else would Kent County Council be able to LOSE 50 MILLION quid in the Icelandic banking crash? How was it they had SURPLUS, when we are told our contributions are NEEDED and VITAL when these sums are spare? Where does the interest on this fund go?

Have fun - watch that blood pressure, Walters stuff will make you BOIL :saint:

BBD
They must find it hard to take Truth for authority who have so long mistaken Authority for Truth - Gerald Massey
BaldBeardyDude

Postby WireInTheBlood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:28 pm

holy vehm wrote:you could send a freedom of information request to your local council asking for a complete breakdown of money raised and where it all went.

on average a 1/3 goes to pensions and 1/5 goes to the european regional assemblies which doesnt leave much in the pot.
These figures will only go up over the coming years as will the amount you pay in council tax.

Where we live we are finding that services like refuse collections are being tendered out to outside companies, so pretty soon the council wont actually provide many services direct.

Won't they just lie or not repond? What I don't get is the amount they say they give to the police and fire service - since when were the council responsible for those?
WireInTheBlood

Postby holy vehm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:12 pm

your council tax going to the police/fire service has been going on for as long as i can remember.

They may lie or ignore your request and if they do then you can always report them to the ombudsman. Maybe you can refuse to pay until they have answered your request. How can you pay when you dont know what your paying for.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Postby WireInTheBlood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:19 pm

[quote="holy vehm"]your council tax going to the police/fire service has been going on for as long as i can remember.

quote]

Yes, as long as I can remember too, but sure local councils aren't responsible for their upkeep? Don't they get money from the Government? Like the Councils?! Now that's confusing!! :thinks:
WireInTheBlood

Postby holy vehm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:32 pm

pulled off wiki,

How Council Tax is spent
Further information: Local government in England, Local government in Wales, and Local government in Scotland
Although it is the only tax which is set by local government, the Council Tax contributes only a small proportion (25%, on average) of local government revenue. The majority comes from central government grants and from business rates which are collected centrally and redistributed to local authorities.

Local government provide services such as police, fire, recycling, refuse collection and removal, schools, leisure centres, park and ride schemes, parks and open spaces, street cleaning, subsidising of public transport, tourism, museums, social housing grants, housing and council tax benefits, environmental health and food safety in pubs, restaurants and shops, planning services, support for voluntary groups, meals on wheels, facilities for young people, adapting homes for disabled people, play centres for children, cctv installation, sports facilities, issuing taxi licences, flood defences, and many others.

A significant proportion of local government services are stipulated by central government in the form of statutory provision. Local councils are obliged by law to provide these services. The remainder of services are discretionary and are determined by the local council.

plenty to chew on here,
http://www.lijit.com/search?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lijit.com%2Fusers%2Ftpa&start_time=&p=g&blog_uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftpa.typepad.com%2F&blog_platform=&view_id=&link_id=8453&flavor=&q=council+tax
holy vehm

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Don't forget those all-important Common Purpose training seminars!

Peace

J
All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.
Jim

Postby WireInTheBlood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Thing is, I don't use most of those services, so why should I have to pay for them?

This is interesting too:

http://www.nocounciltax.com/
WireInTheBlood

Postby the trojan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 am

matt-freeman on the land did a foi request on here and found out just how much his council had invested elsewhere

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3720
i have my foi request in and will hopefully get a reply on the 13th of this month.
the trojan

Return to Taxes