Council Tax - Exempt??

Income Tax, Council Tax, National Insurance and VAT issues.

Council Tax - Exempt??

Postby consumerpada » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:59 pm

creative digestion, as they say,

.....it's worth noting that My local council insists that the council tax is a liabilitly on a 'person' however, when I continue to press my exemption I was given the following list, it relates to the property only.?...go figure

Anyhoo.. I think he want's to hear no more of it and insists I find a way to comply with one of the following in order to 'qualify' for the exemption, :grin:

............ :thinks: ..............

Council Tax - Exempt Property

This letter tells you about properties that are exempt from Council Tax.

Some properties are exempt from Council Tax. These include:

Empty properties which:

•are unfurnished (exempt up to 6 months).

•are owned by a charity (exempt for up to 6 months).

•require or are undergoing major repair works to make them habitable, or where structural alterations are taking place which are not complete (This exemption is time limited to 12 months after the exemption commences or 6 months after work was completed, whichever is the sooner).

•are left empty by someone who has gone into prison, hospital, a nursing home or residential home.

•are left empty because either probate or letters of administration are awaited, or less than 6 months have elapsed since they were granted.

•are prohibited by law from being occupied.

•are empty awaiting occupation by a minister of religion.
•are under the possession of the mortgage under the terms of the mortgage.

•are unoccupied because the resident is providing/receiving care elsewhere (NOTE special rules apply and further information will be supplied on request).

•are owned by the Secretary of State for Defence for the purposes of armed forces accommodation.

•are liable to a Council Tax charge but where it would be payable by a trustee in bankruptcy.

•is an unoccupied annex which cannot be let separately, because it is part of the main dwelling and where its letting is restricted under planning regulations.

Occupied properties where:

•all the residents are qualifying students.

•they are occupied solely by a severely mentally impaired person/s.

•they are occupied by a student and where the spouse of a student is not a British Citizen and who is prevented by the terms of their entry visa from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits.

•they are annexes, to other dwellings, solely occupied by dependant relatives of the Council Taxpayer resident in the other dwelling.

:peace:
Knowledge makes a (wo)man unfit to be a slave." — Frederick Douglass
consumerpada

Re: Council Tax - Exempt??

Postby huntingross » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi CP

The answer is in your own post.....viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2813&start=0#p26815

•are empty awaiting occupation by a minister of religion.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby emmanualgoldstein » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:28 pm

I remember reading the legislation for this a while back and it says something like "the person is liable to pay", and I thought "yeah so they would be if they accepted all this bollox". Why do they use the word "liable" and not "required"? Most of the act was about the "requirements" of local authorities. They are required to collect the taxes, but people are only liable to pay it... if they think they have to.
emmanualgoldstein

Postby consumerpada » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 pm

hr - The answer is in your own post.....viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2813&start=0#p26815

true enough ...well spotted...:giggle: :peace:

eg - I remember reading the legislation for this a while back and it says something like "the person is liable to pay", and I thought "yeah so they would be if they accepted all this bollox". Why do they use the word "liable" and not "required"? Most of the act was about the "requirements" of local authorities. They are required to collect the taxes, but people are only liable to pay it... if they think they have to.

agreed m8....smoke and mirrors

consumerpada

Postby consumerpada » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 pm

.......and on the point of tax exemption http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page14587

consumerpada

Postby huntingross » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:38 pm

yes, that is an interesting point.....THEY (them) use Liability a lot in their dealings.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby the_common_law_reverend_kenny » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:27 am

:sun:
SOVEREIGN: not controlled by outside forces: autonomous; self-governing; independent "a sovereign people" <> "by any peaceful administritive means necessary" - the way of the order.
the_common_law_reverend_kenny

Return to Taxes