Council Tax Liability Issue(s)

Income Tax, Council Tax, National Insurance and VAT issues.

Council Tax Liability Issue(s)

Postby aerbabe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:25 pm

I have just come across this forum and the wealth of information is almost too much to take in!

I have just read up on the Bailiffs what they can and can't do but would like to ask for a little advice/help if thats ok?

Myself and another person are named on a Council Tax bill from a flat we both shared. I have paid my half, kept reciepts and met with the local council to explain the situation. The other named person has run away and not paid a penny.

I know where he works, i don't know where he lives. I have passed on to Scott&Co, the debt collecting agency, all the contact details that i have for him which is soley his employeers address and contact number but they are threatening me with sequestration and the removal of my belongings.

I know that we are both liable for this bill, but surely they have a legal obligation to peruse the correct person that owes the money in the first place?

Is there anything i can do to force the debt collection agency to arrest his wages, and not mine?!

If i had to pay the bill could i sue him for the amount he owed? Its £522 and as i live in Scotland i could go to the small claims court, but does anyone know what the success rate for this sort of solution is? I think the other guy lives in London near his work as Cabin Crew.

Any help, or advice would be really really appreciated!

Thank you all in advance,

Dan.
aerbabe

Re: Council Tax Liability Issue(s)

Postby elemental mechanic » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm

:puzz: ............. :thinks: ...................... :puzz: ............................ :thinks: ........................

peace is :love:

"namaste"
I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING
I KNOW THE TRUTH
I DON'T HAVE TO BE WHAT YOU WANT ME TO BE
I'M FREE TO BE WHAT I WANT

Muhammad Ali
elemental mechanic

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Did you and the other person sign a tenancy agreement that states that you are jointly responsible for paying the council tax? If you did then you can prove you've kept your side of the agreement as far as paying your own share goes.
All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.
Jim

Postby MikeThomas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:17 am

This really goes a long way to prove the point that Courts, Councils & DCA's are lazy and beligerant. They don't care who pays as long as someone does and as they've 'found' you they will stick you for every penny.

Check your tenancy agreement. Did you both sign? Or just you?
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Postby aerbabe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

We both signed the tenancy agreement. This guy has a history of doing this (found out after he disappeared) So i'm determined that i'm not going to be forced into paying for something that morally i shouldn't have to.

I have copies of my bank statement and minutes from my meetings with the council explaining the situation and that they acknowledge that i have paid for my share of the tax and that it is the other guy that is the debtor.

Other Landlords let him off time and time again, even though at one point the Police where involved. So i'm just seething that he might be getting away with it again, meanwhile good honest Joe Bloggs gets hammered for someone else's crap.
aerbabe

Postby Michaelangelo Coparo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Happened to me before and over the phone the council admitted they will chase whoever is easiest to chase....and at this moment, its you! :)
Michaelangelo Coparo

Return to Taxes