arguing against whether the council deserve tax ?

Income Tax, Council Tax, National Insurance and VAT issues.

arguing against whether the council deserve tax ?

Postby rainbowfire » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi!
I was wondering whether anything was written anywhere that states the conditions under which someone must pay council tax. Of course, NO CONTRACT was ever created between the "council" (a legal fiction) and any living human being with a soul (am I getting the hang of this yet?) but as the council repeatedly FAIL to empty my recycling bins, even though I leave them out at the right times, I was wondering whether this could be used as an argument against paying council tax... something along the lines of "you have not fulfilled your obligations, and so I do not feel that I should have to pay for a service which I did not receive"... .?? Any ideas? x
rainbowfire

Re: arguing against whether the council deserve tax ?

Postby kevin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm sure they will have changed the terms of the contract at some point which makes the contract viod. If there is a contract between the council and either the person, human or the building itself (lol) we should ask to see it, i'm sure they'll say they are contracted to empty your bins...lets see the contract
kevin

Postby Zain » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Problem with this is that I know at least one council has responded by saying that council tax is 'tax on occupancy of a property and is not a payment for specific services.' Can you believe that?!!
Zain

Postby kevin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:34 pm

I've just done a FOI question to ask if my council is contracted to empty my bins, that is if there is a contract between myself and the council for services, if there is i want to see it, and if there isn't why do they empty them and why do i pay them tax?
kevin

Return to Taxes