Reality

Freeman Educational Resources - For all your reference material. Books, Videos & Links etc.

Reality

Postby holy vehm » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:01 am

The source of the term is a quotation in an October 17, 2004, The New York Times Magazine article by writer Ron Suskind, quoting an unnamed aide to George W. Bush (later attributed to Karl Rove):

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." ... "That's not the way the world really works anymore,"
He continued.
"We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Re: Reality

Postby musashi » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:03 pm

holy vehm wrote:
The source of the term is a quotation in an October 17, 2004, The New York Times Magazine article by writer Ron Suskind, quoting an unnamed aide to George W. Bush (later attributed to Karl Rove):

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." ... "That's not the way the world really works anymore,"
He continued.
"We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

Reality may be described as a series of complicated interactions between the observer and the observed.

That's what I wrote in the Empowering Thoughts forum some time ago. I stand by it.

We all create realities when we act in the world. The trick is to know this, to be a conscious observer aware of what you are observing, and to ask onself, "What reality will I create if I act in this way?" or, in this sense, "What reality have they created by acting in such and such a way?" We need not study them - only be aware of them and the base reality they have created, and determine a course which may create a reality which supercedes theirs.
Of course, this requires us to "Be here now."

The aide is correct in what he says, however trite it is; hence the military maxim that "Attack is the best defence." However, while we study, or observe, their newly created realities we may be busy creating, or attempting to create, a new reality wherein their reality-creating abilities are nullified in terms of the world changing realities they create. We may do this not by challenging or attacking the realities themselves, although they may well need to be dealt with, but by removing the base mechanisms through which they operate to create their preferred realities.

His statement implicitly tells us that we are powerless in the face of the realities which they create - "all of you will be left to just study what we do." and he is, currently, also correct in this. I say currently, not ultimately, because the one thing they hate and can never change is the basic universal principle that life is emergent. It is not fixed and unchanging.
When a great king asked his wise men to create something that, when he was sad, would make him happy; and when he was happy, would make him sad, the wise men gave him a ring upon which was inscribed the words "THIS, TOO, WILL PASS".
As Heracletes of Ephesus said, "The hills are shadows which flow from form to form - and nothing stands." So be of good cheer.

Musashi.
It's still fucked, isn't it?
musashi

Return to Media Library