General Questions Regarding Potential Student Loan Challenge

General Questions Regarding Potential Student Loan Challenge

Postby Yuchangi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi there, Freemen and Freewomen,

I wonder if anyone can advise me on this matter: I'm seriously considering challenging my student loan, which recently went into arrears (despite my having sent all the relevant paperwork, which, they claim, they didn't receive. More fool me for not having used recorded delivery - I won't be making that mistake again). As such, I'm researching a letter of response using Veronica's book, and which I'll upload once I've drafted it - hopefully you might give me some feedback on whether or not covers all the bases.

However, before I start this process, I need to know how far things are likely to go. I currently live with an older relative, and I don't want to involve her in this in any way; it's her house, and she hates conflict. She's also not likely to support my challenging the loan. So, I need to know whether or not it's likely that, in the end, bailiffs or police will show up at our doorstep. It's a student loan, so as far as I'm aware there's no collateral attached to it, but would they try to take my relative's property? Are student loans dealt with in the same way as other kinds of loan, either by the loan company itself or by debt collectors, should they pass the matter on?

Any knowledge you can share with me on this will help me make my decision, and be much appreciated.

Wishing you all well,

Yuchangi
Yuchangi

Re: General Questions Regarding Potential Student Loan Challenge

Postby musashi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:15 pm

Try looking at an old post here; The Infant Relief act, 1874.
The act is un-repealed and for the purposes of the act an infant is someone who has not yet reached 21 years of age.

Necessaries are defined in Ryder v Wombwell.

I put this up some time ago, too busy to do the necessary small checks to see who it applies to in terms of student loans and no-one got back to say anything about whether or not it would apply to student loans. You could make a start at the following address - - https://kanwarn.wordpress.com/tag/ryder-vs-wombwell/ - - and take it from there.
Lance.
It's still fucked, isn't it?
musashi

Postby Yuchangi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:27 pm

musashi wrote:Try looking at an old post here; The Infant Relief act, 1874.
The act is un-repealed and for the purposes of the act an infant is someone who has not yet reached 21 years of age.

Necessaries are defined in Ryder v Wombwell.

I put this up some time ago, too busy to do the necessary small checks to see who it applies to in terms of student loans and no-one got back to say anything about whether or not it would apply to student loans. You could make a start at the following address - - https://kanwarn.wordpress.com/tag/ryder-vs-wombwell/ - - and take it from there.
Lance.

Hi there Lance,

Thanks for the info - although I'm afraid I'm already over 21. I did, however, draft a letter to the Student Loans Company, which I've attached (I'll have to upload the two photos separately). Do you think you could possibly take a look and see if it's likely to work? I made one glaring mistake, in that 'Respondeat Senior' should have been 'Respondeat Superior'. Serves me right for not being thorough enough. Also, if the letter has any fatal flaws, and anyone spots them, I'd be much obliged if you could let me know.

Cheers,

Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yuchangi

Postby Yuchangi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:28 pm

Part 2...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yuchangi

Postby studentloan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:50 pm

whats the update on this???
studentloan

Return to General Freeman related questions