Occupy Sydney arrest

Please post any successful outcomes here for all to see.

Occupy Sydney arrest

Postby occupier » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi everyone I am new to the forum, i have been involved with the occupy sydney movement here in sydney and i was unlawfully arrested. The riot squad attacked our peacefull protest at 4:30 am when most of us were sleeping. They assaulted me while I was sitting on the ground holding hands with my friends chanting. They grabbed me by the face, i couldn't see, i couldn't breath, I felt something go in my mouth so i bit down. It was apparently a cops finger. They dragged me along the ground with one shoe on my foot and called me names including a fucking mutt. My dress fell down, one of friends came over to pull it up, and the police told her they would arrest her if she touched me. When i was taken into custody i excercised my right to remain silent and refused to sign anything including the bail. I told them my name was Anna. They had my photo id and i kept saying that person is not me. The police wouldn't let me make any phone calls and handed me over to corrective services officers and i was threatened many times- they even threatened to take me into a back room with no cameras to make me talk. I was then transported from the police station to silverwater jail were I was illegally strip searched (sexually assaulted), kept awake under fluro lights (for my own safety apparently) they refused my right to see a doctor and make phone calls, they put me in a safe cell, I was not fed properly until i appeared before a court via video link and complained. The judge 'dispensed' of my bail and released me, Below is some of the news articles in relation to this. I would love some feedback. peace

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/court-frees-occupy-sydney-protester-to-applause-20111024-1mfe4.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/nsw-premier-supports-police-but-sydney-lord-mayor-says-law-interpreted-inaccurately/story-e6frg6nf-1226174544775
occupier

Re: Occupy Sydney arrest

Postby Prajna » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Welcome to the rebellion, you just earned your first medal. :grin:

Sounds like you did fine and the 'system' behaved as the 'system' usually does. When did they let you out? What did they charge you with or did they drop any charges? If they have charged you then you need to challenge that in court (lots of info about doing that) and if they didn't charge you then whack in a complaint/case against them for unlawful arrest, assault, etc. (I'm sure you have a reasonable idea of some of the offenses they have committed, sock it to em so they don't behave like that towards others. A complaint isn't worth much but it does cause them some stress while it is being investigated. A court case against them is much more effective and causes them a great deal more stress on all levels.

Well done.

Namaste,
Prajna
FREEDOM Best Before: 11 Sept 2001
http://tomboy-pink.co.uk/ and http://DeclarePeace.org.uk/
Prajna

Re: Occupy Sydney arrest

Postby occupier » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:26 am

Thank you! They let me out of jail on Monday afternoon. I dont know if the charges were processed correctly - i have been given no paper work other an order to appear in court again on the 5th december which has listed the offences as assist arrest x 2, assault police x 2, and some other council violation, next to the charges it said no plea entered. At court when i asked the judge for remedy she dispensed of my bail, then said she was going to enter a plea of not guilty on my behalf, I objected and said that if a plea was to be entered it would be demurrer to establish jurisdiction. But it did not appear on the paperwork.

I did not understand (stand under) the polices charges so they were unable to process me. I wasn't finger printed, photographed, no statement was taken, i didn't sign anything. Everyone else in my group that was arrested was proccessed as soon as they signed their bail. The bail statement said in small writing "I understand these charges" - that was one reason I didn't sign it amongst many. I asked to see my charge sheet, police statements, custody records, I also told the court I had not been given of these things. I didn't even recieve a docket for my property which was damagedin their care. The only thing the police tried to give me was bail paperwork which i refused to sign so did not receive a copy of anyway. I have no paperwork! But I have to go back to court..

I am really confused what happened,
occupier

Return to Success Stories