Another Small Victory (its a start for me )

Please post any successful outcomes here for all to see.

Another Small Victory (its a start for me )

Postby Free_me_Man » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:32 am

I lost my knowing of rights virginity yesterday,

A well known television company in England told me a couple of months ago that when I changed address I would not need to change my direct debit details, Upon knowing this (before I knew of FMOTL.com ) I did nothing about my Direct debit at all ( Well obviously I wouldn't do anything I was told it was ok). Yesterday a letter arrived at my address stating I had not paid my bill and now a £10 service charge will be added on top of what I owed. This displeased me quite a lot so remembering to stick to my guns (or knowledge ) I picked up the phone,

After three minutes of automated twaddle I was eventually put through to a rather nice chap actually, Can't remember the guys name but decent enough. I informed him in a peaceful way that I MAY be recording this phone call to which he agreed to talk to me further ( are they allowed to say no ?) I discussed my problem with him and he said that the direct debit details were not switched over ( Why not?, I was told this previously and its only the address I changed) I then asked him that if his colleague had told me this was he aware that he/his colleague had infact misinformed me and that his college could now be in a lot of trouble, e.g fraud (I politely reminded him that I may be recording the conversation)
.... The next part of the conversation was Very Very quick and basically the £10 late payment charge was dropped, And sure enough the next day I rang to pay off the bill and finalise the direct debit ... Job done ... I felt empowered, I was at the end of a conflict with £10, £10 more than if i were to have made the call 4 weeks ago whereas I would have paid the buggers straight out as I hated/feared debt then more than anything.

Free_me_man
Free_me_Man

Re: Another Small Victory (its a start for me )

Postby holy vehm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:34 am

a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

:peace:
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby nameless » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:20 pm

Congratulations, Free_me_Man. It may be a small success by some standards, but small successes taste sweet.
“Whoever may be guilty of abuse of power, be it Government, State, Employer, Trade Union or whoever, the law must provide a speedy remedy. Otherwise the victims will find their own remedy."

Lord Denning
nameless

Postby jamesbb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:47 pm

i always get those bloody charges for going maybe a few quid overdrawn before i get paid, whici is weekly, so they are never waiting more than 7 days to get there few quid back, yet they put a £38 charge on there for you going overdrawn. By my understanding i could send them a letter, or call them like you have done and come out with the same result? as im sure i never signed anything deeming it 'ok' for them to charge me for moeny they chose to lend me.
jamesbb

Postby huntingross » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 pm

The last time I checked the Bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank have a section in their small print terms and conditions to the effect that if they notify you of changes to the T&C's and you don't comment within 2 months then you are deemed to have accepted the change....if you do comment you authorise them to close your account.

I questioned a proposed change to OUR T&C's (it's a bilateral contract afterall) and told them I didn't consent.....they didn't shut my account and so I now have de facto changed OUR T&C's.

It's all in the small print....although The Royal Bank seem to have avoided this phrase in their T&C's.....I can't find it.....they obviously have thought it through a little better.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby holy vehm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:01 am

jamesbb wrote:i always get those bloody charges for going maybe a few quid overdrawn before i get paid, whici is weekly, so they are never waiting more than 7 days to get there few quid back, yet they put a £38 charge on there for you going overdrawn. By my understanding i could send them a letter, or call them like you have done and come out with the same result? as im sure i never signed anything deeming it 'ok' for them to charge me for moeny they chose to lend me.

Whats worse than that is when they charge £25 for a letter telling you that you had insufficient funds in your account. They dont pay it or anything, its just a letter telling me what i already know.
So im going to phone the bank and tell them i have money in the account and charge them £25.
All the staff in the banks should be sat there with balaclavas on, robbing so and so's
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Return to Success Stories