An interesting talk with the bank.

Please post any successful outcomes here for all to see.

An interesting talk with the bank.

Postby deebom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:23 pm

A small victory, but a victory still.
Also posted in 'banking crimes'

I have been trying without success to get my bank to remove £110.32 in charges they say I owe. So i can close the account and be bank free.For weeks and weeks they have have been saying "give us the money or else." I emailed the CEO asking for a copy of the true credit agreement ect, giving him 7 days to respond and failure to do so would put the bank in dishonor. Well today was the 8th day so I phoned to ask if they had closed the account. Of course they havnt, they put me through to 'collections' and I spoke to a very nice lady who went through the history of the account and said to me if I pay them £50 they would be happy, I could close the account and be on my merry way. Nice. But... What shall I do now? should I give them £50 for a peacfull life or harrass them some more? They way I see it is. they know that I dont really owe the money, I never took the cash and spent it. It's all made up charges. Should I fight them or just roll over?
deebom

Re: An interesting talk with the bank.

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Interesting indeed, deebom. I'm tempted to say just pay the 50 fiats and you can be on your merry way because it's a trifling amount but then a part of me thinks that if you give the bank 50 notes it could then say "Aha! So you admit the charges exist. Give us the rest!" Of course the flip side is that if they can simply reduce the sum demanded from 110 sheets to 50 then it kind of suggests that the charges are totally trumped up in the first place. I would probably point out this paradox to them and see what they make of it. See what they would be prepared to put in writing before you commit to anything...

Peace

J
All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.
Jim

Postby deebom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 pm

The thing is, I dont have £50 to give them, I wasnt expecting them to say anything like that. I'm going to phone back in the morning and get them to put it in writing. I am of the opinon that they have admitted that the money is irrelevent by reducing it. If someone owed you £100, you would want £100 back wouldnt you?
deebom

Postby jonboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Don't give them anything, Ask them to provide you with a true bill compliant to the Bills of exchange act 1882. I asked HSBC this back in Feb 2009, they are still scratching their heads. It was for around £900 overdraft.
"Reason is the life of the law; nay, the common law itself is nothing else but reason. The law which is perfection of reason" Sir Edward Coke 1552-1634.

NO ONE RULES IF NO ONE OBEYS.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.
jonboy

Postby nameless » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:36 pm

What is more valuable to them is your signature. If you agree to close your account, they will need your signature to do so. They will make a lot of fiat on this.

I strongly disagree with paying them £50, or even 50p. It is a matter of principle, and I agree with Jim's posting. Another thing, why are you phoning them? This costs you fiat, and you have no record of what they say. A paper trail is better. Don't phone them in the morning. Let them come to you. Who's sovereign here?
“Whoever may be guilty of abuse of power, be it Government, State, Employer, Trade Union or whoever, the law must provide a speedy remedy. Otherwise the victims will find their own remedy."

Lord Denning
nameless

Postby deebom » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:48 pm

I dont mind ringing them. I get all company numbers from here for free.
http://saynoto0870.com/search.php

But you are right, as soon as I get the letter for this new agreement, I will then question them closely.
deebom

Return to Success Stories