How to post Letters, Pictures, etc.

Important Announcements and Forum Alerts

How to post Letters, Pictures, etc.

Postby Veronica » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:10 am

Letters

The technique I have been using is to paste the contents of my letters within BB quotes. This is relatively easy, assuming your original was created in M$ Word ... or equivalent. (BTW, "M$" indicates their love of 'money' and nothing else).

What you do is to open your letter, and "Save As", then choose "Text with Line Breaks".

This creates a .TXT copy. You can use any Filename you like, because the result is - ultimately - throw away. Use the same (temporary) file name each time. I do.

(You will lose all 'colouring' and most 'formatting' options ... such as bold, italics, etc ... and you'll be told that will happen. One day someone might have the sense to write "Save As Text for BBCode". I might have a look into that, if I get time. Actually I've done part of that job by creating a set of BBCode Word Macros. This really only works if you are writing up something designed for a Forum Reply/Topic ... in other words it's not very good for converting the formatting already embedded into a letter to be sent).

Anyway, now you have a .TXT version opened in M$ Word. So "Select All" and "Edit .. Copy".

Go to your Topic or reply and click "Quote" to make the BBCode quotation Tags (in Square Brackets).

Click the cursor between these Tags, Right-click, and Paste.

(If you don't know about Right-clicking ... everywhere ... learn!)

That's basically the technique for letters.

The 'attachment mechanism' has been adjusted, but all this does is make your .doc Uploadable, and to provide a link to the .doc, on my Hosting (good for archiving, if you accidentally delete locally!). It works, though (see below). It means the doc would open locally in your Word Processor. Make sure you top'n'tail before uploading if you want to hide your address, etc

Scanned Images

Mmmm ... these are a bit of a problem. The reason is simple: size.

What we want is to be able to use the BBCode Img, but to make sure that what is inserted is readable.

Uploading files as attachments is possible, but the result is not good.

Oh ... that will do. See below. At least you can see the whole scanned letter from them.

(I've now spent the morning of this problem. Let me just say that the entire situation is as about 'mickey-mouse' as it can get. In this - latest - version of phpBB, they've disabled the original facility to use standard HTML Tags ... which would have sort out the problem immediately. Putting back this facility is not, exactly, a piece of cake. Nevertheless the Attachment Facility suffices. Just make sure you upload an Image that is large enough to read. Don't worry about 'FileName clashes'. This can't happen. This system creates internal names automatically, to keep the files separated. Use any FileName you like.)
Freedom's just another word for: "Nothing left to lose" (Janis Joplin)
"There is no path to peace, peace IS the path" (Mahatma Ghandi)
"There is no path to freedom, freedom IS the path" (Veronica Chapman)
Veronica
Founder
Founder

Re: How to post Letters, Pictures, etc.

Postby Zaniwhoop » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:17 pm

This might be helpful, as I've used it on another forum.

Basically get the letter or photo scanned or photographed and saved onto your computer.

Then register at http://photobucket.com/

Upload and save your image there.

Then click on your image and in the bottom right of the screen you'll find a box labelled "IMG Code - Forums & Bulletin Boards"

Highlight and copy the IMG code which looks something like this [img ]http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/User/DDguarantee.png[/img ]

Then just paste that in you post here, and you should get something like the image below:-

Experiment with the size options a bit to get it to fit and there you go. Of course this should work for just about any graphic image. I hope this is helpful to ALL.
Zaniwhoop
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jobsaboba » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 pm

nice work zaniwhoop and thankyou for your welcome.... its nice to feel welcome :oops:
I am not wise......I am otherwise !

its not my banking system... and i dont take credit for it !!
jobsaboba

Postby Zaniwhoop » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:30 am

jobsaboba wrote:nice work zaniwhoop and thankyou for your welcome.... its nice to feel welcome :oops:
Hey! No need to be embarrassed jobsaboba, let's take our power back. Is your username something to do with the Scouting movement?
Shaw's principle.
"A government which robs Peter
to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul"

Sublato fundamento cadit opus The foundation being removed, the superstructure falls.
Zaniwhoop
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jobsaboba » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:12 am

haha, no it was formed when a friend of mine used to say jobs a good un, or job done if u like.
i simply altered what he was saying to jobs a boba, and it kinda stuck. :lol:
I am not wise......I am otherwise !

its not my banking system... and i dont take credit for it !!
jobsaboba

Postby Veronica » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:35 pm

See here for posting videos:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83
Freedom's just another word for: "Nothing left to lose" (Janis Joplin)
"There is no path to peace, peace IS the path" (Mahatma Ghandi)
"There is no path to freedom, freedom IS the path" (Veronica Chapman)
Veronica
Founder
Founder

Return to Bulletin Board