National grids shiny new meter.

National grids shiny new meter.

Postby holy vehm » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:06 am

Received a request from national grid who wish to replace my old but working gas meter with a new one.
So sent this to them today.

Dear Mr Belmega,

I received your letter this Monday (16 April 2012) although it was dated the 4th April 2012, royal mail eh!

It mentions that you wish to replace my current meter with a new one.

I have a number of questions before I consent to the above taking place, I did telephone the number provided but unfortunately the call was answered by a machine which refused to answer my questions so alas I am forced to write to your good self as the letter appears to have been signed by you.

My first question:
Who actually owns the meter on my property? Is it mine, is it yours or is it the gas supplier?

My second question:
What type of meter is my current one being replaced with, a model number and make would suffice.

My third question:
I work nights so the times given for the meter to be replaced (8am - 8pm) are somewhat vague and a more definite time will be required in order to assist in the replacement of said meter.

Until the issues above have been addressed satisfactorily I am unable to assist any further in your desire to replace my current meter with a new one, therefore please advice any personnel that a knock on my door this Thursday (19 April 2012) will be most unwelcome.

Many thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely

Gas Consumer
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Re: National grids shiny new meter.

Postby enegiss » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6m8Cp80SbJs#! interesting :grin:

Ex-fraud investigator on smart meters [Take Back Your Power] http://thepowerfilm.org/
if you wish to create a favourable History, then you have to start now.
enegiss

Postby Spudz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:21 pm

I read not long back that the government agreed that it is NOT compulsory to have a smart metre and UK residents can LEGALLY refuse to have them installed. Many MPs were concerned that the new metres would not benefit customers as the energy companies would be doubtful to pass the savings onto their customers.

If they try to tell me to have one installed, they will get the "take a running jump off a cliff" answer.
Spudz

Postby holy vehm » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:49 am

Well they still came round and i have had no reply.

But still gleaned some useful info out of the guy at the door who was sound enough.

He says they have probably not replied because they are snowed under, they are planning to change all meters and i will prob get a reply in a week or so.

I asked if it was a smart meter and he said no, its a like for like replacement, i can have a smart meter but i will have to pay for it and arrange it with the supplier.

I asked him who owns the meter and he said the supplier, so i said thats stupid, i can change my supplier any time so how can all these companies claim they own it.
He said, and this was interesting and i want this in writing.
He said, what happens is, we (national grid) supply you with gas and the utility company bill you and the meter is so they can work out how much to charge you, the meter is fitted by us as we are licensed and regulated to do so but we dont actually own the meter.

So i says, the utility companies are just middle men then, the only service they provide is a billing service, they do not provide me with gas (or electric), they just provide me with a piece of paper and charge me a fortune for it.
If anything i owe the national grid, for they provide me the actual gas, but they dont bill me so i could actually make them an offer because all contracts need equal consideration and value.

At this point ive started to lose him a little so i explained that the gas utility company charges me a standing charge (rent on the equipment) so i intend to charge them rent to store their meter on my property and he laughed and said that he hadnt heard of that before but it sounded fair enough.
So i said does the meter have to stay in my property and he said that it can go on the outside if i required but he wasnt sure who would foot the bill for the relocation of the meter.
So i said, no what i want is the meter out there on the pavement, actually off my property and he said that they wouldnt do that, it has to be on your property so i pointed out that the water meter is in the pavement, so whats the differance and he didnt know, perhaps a safety thing he thinks.

With that i bid him fair well and off he went. I didnt let him do the exchange as i have not received written response to my queries and after this little chat i have a few more points i seek answers to.

So it seems that the national grid provide you with the gas, but dont want anything for it. The utility company are only a billing company and do not provide you with any gas, only a piece of paper.
So they can charge you accordingly the utility company installs a meter for which they rent to you at £30 a quarter but you do not own the meter.
If you switch billing company, the new company takes over ownership of the meter and continues to charge you accordingly. The meter in this house is the original so far as i can tell and is probably from the late 60s so this rental charge makes them some serious money over a 30/40 year period.

This is setup just like the banks, its all there in plain sight, the rip off.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Postby cooky560 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Surely then simple solution = setup your own energy company?
cooky560

Postby holy vehm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:21 pm

cooky560 wrote:Surely then simple solution = setup your own energy company?

Thats not a bad idea.

Suppose you set up a limited company, freeman energy and then contracted with national grid to supply you with gas/elec (as they do already)
I wonder how you would word this to national grid :thinks:

Will ponder on this.
holy vehm

Postby Freeman Stephen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:07 pm

They wouldnt let a mere peon dictate the terms of a contract with them. They would direct you to the nearest standard form, make one up and call it standard or not engage in any contract at all. I salute them on the third option because thats exactly my terms and conditions with the national grid and all of those super elite corporations - if theres can never be an opportunity to negotiate a contract then it can never be fair, albeit, that in the mechanism they call civilisation, it is essential for the continuance of life that people enter contracts that are by nature unfair.
Freeman Stephen

Postby cooky560 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:07 pm

I imagine Stephen if you told them you were setting up an energy company (thus implying you'd supply a lot of energy) they'd be interested in you...
cooky560

Return to Utility Bills