How best to deal with threat of being cut off from utilities

How best to deal with threat of being cut off from utilities

Postby dakini cat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Dear All,
I received a letter yesterday threatening to cut off my gas and electricity supply. I'm just wondering... can they cut me off without going to court? I'm trying to figure out what route to go down and when... whether I respond now or later, and with a 'I've never had a meter reading and don't know which one it is' type of response or a 'we don't have a contract' type response.
Any knowledge experience itching to be shared?
Big thanks,
Cat
PS I've got kids if that makes any difference to what they can and can't do?...
dakini cat

Re: How best to deal with threat of being cut off from utilities

Postby dakini cat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:26 pm

OK, so i've had lots of views of my post but no comments...
I'm wondering if that's because I'm missing something really obvious?
If so, it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks heaps,
Keen but lost :grin:
dakini cat

Postby treeman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:29 pm

I'll make no subscription to their paradise.

All Rights Reserved - Without Prejudice - Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
Errors & Omissions Excepted
treeman

Postby Dipsy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:15 pm

yes gas and electric can cut you off. They are a service provider. It maybe a good idea to offer to make some payment plan with them. Although the kids are protected under the various social services ACT for their well being be VERY careful you don't use the kids as ammo as social services could actually remove the kids from your home as being "unfit for use" and they can be relocated if you had gas and electric cut off.

I suspect this is why no one has answered your post because their is no easy get out solution. You could try to A4V the debt but that in itself in a lengthy and unreliable process and wont really protect you against disconnection. Basically they don't really need to get a court order to turn off the supply as far as i know its NOT a protected service. They still have to try and recover the debt though which goes to a debt collector and of course that part is EASY to deal with but it doesn't help you much when you are sat there with no lights or heat. Many of these companies do have severe hardship schemes to pay back what you can afford to pay. If the amount they claim you owe is in dispute this is really a separate issue so long as you pay something to keep the lights on.

Failing that you have to live off the grid buy a wood burner, solar panels, generator, windmill, car batteries and inverter:)
Dipsy

Postby dakini cat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 pm

That's great, thanks both of you.
Off grid is the long term plan... just need to get out of rented accommodation and onto the land!
... and cope with the energy bandits between now and then.
Thanks again :)
Cat
dakini cat

Return to Utility Bills