Virgin Media and Debit Collection - What are they able to do

Virgin Media and Debit Collection - What are they able to do

Postby lofty401 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi all, randomly came across this site after some searching about what companies are able to actually do and it's awesome! Been a great help so far =D

I've got a debt which was originally with Virgin Media for a media package I had at my old property before I was forced to move out due to financial difficulties. The amount was around £140ish to my knowledge, it eventually got passed on to a debt collection agency (moorcroft I think? not 100% sure) who have sent me a couple of letters, first asking for £170 (late payment charges added on etc.) but have since reduced it to around £130 for whatever reason.

I've received a couple of phonecalls but I don't answer numbers I don't recognize anyway or any blocked numbers on principle, and my voicemail states to call me after 7pm or on a sunday (after opening hours).

From what i've read this is more of a debt collection agency issue potentially, so please say if i've posted this in the wrong place! But it's a utility bill debt. What i'm wondering is what is the company actually able to do against me at this stage? For £130 or £170? They have sent a letter saying they need payment within such and such a time or they will be able to send a representative around to discuss my options, who I wouldn't let in of course. But i'm not keen on talking to them anyway as this sort of thing does make me very nervous.

I'm presuming the possibility of court action is pretty low as it's not a huge amount of money? (although it's a lot to me).

Potentially being really cheeky, is there even any roundabout way out of it?

Cheers guys =D
lofty401

Re: Virgin Media and Debit Collection - What are they able to do

Postby FASEN8R » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:07 am

Hi Lofty401 and welcome to the forum :shake:

I've dealt with Moorcrofts very easily by using this website: GetOutOfDebtFree.Org
I only had to send them the 1st letter (of a possible 3 letter process) and they wrote back to me pretty much begging me NOT to contact them again as they didn't want to be involved!! Take a look at the site and see what you think. I advise you to read through it carefully and understand what you are doing before making up your own mind whether you are comfortable with it. I can only say how it was a great success for me and wouldn't want you to think i'm 'telling' you what to do.......

Let us know how things go so others can learn from your experiences too my friend, that is if you decide to proceed :yes:

:peace:

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I may remember. Involve me and I Learn!!
FASEN8R

Postby pitano1 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:45 am

hi lofty.
good advice from fasen8r.

here is another tip.
get yourself registered on the telephone
preferential list.

it takes a couple of months to filter
through the system,but once it is set up
any arshole,that phones,you send them
an invoice to pay you... :giggle:

this can also be done with the mail.

to put your mind at rest,
i doubt very much they will send
anyone to visit,and unless you have
a contract with THEM,they cant take you
to court.
pitano1 :yes:
If the machine of government is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.
Henry David Thoreau
ALL UNALIENABLE RIGHTS RESERVED -AB INITIO - Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
pitano1

Postby nunkey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:30 am

Welcome to the site Lofty,, good advice has been given to you mate..My wife was actually paying these pricks £5 a week until i got involved ..Just told her from now on return any letters to them not known at this address to which she did . After about 6 weeks or so some goon turned up one evening and knocked the door. I was upstairs at the time so opened the window and said "what do you want " ? He asked for my wife so i said "sorry pal , you got the wrong address !! " he just looked lost and didnt know what to do :shh: so got back in his car and drove off..Didnt hear from them again , BUT they did pass it on to some other debt co , and we sent the 1st two letters back not known now they go straight in the bin. Good luck.. :yes: :yes: :wink:
nunkey

Postby FASEN8R » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:37 pm

pitano1 wrote:hi lofty.
good advice from fasen8r.

here is another tip.
get yourself registered on the telephone
preferential list.

it takes a couple of months to filter
through the system,but once it is set up
any arshole,that phones,you send them
an invoice to pay you... :giggle:

Thanks pitano1 :yes:
And just to add to your good advice....
I recently moved to our new abode and within 2 days of getting a phone installed we started getting these goons randomly ringing and irritating us.
We registered the tps service and within 3 days we now get NO goons ringing whatsoever! So in my experience it is VERY effective, fast too :yes:

FASEN8R

Postby lofty401 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Fasen8r... That website is awesome haha ^^ Just registered with them =D When I next get a letter from moorcroft i'll start that process.

Another great tip I found on there, is copyrighting your name, which effectively allows you to charge companies contacting you using it for copyright infringement.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens ^^ Thanks for all the help =D
lofty401

Postby FASEN8R » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:02 am

lofty401 wrote:Fasen8r... That website is awesome haha ^^ Just registered with them =D When I next get a letter from moorcroft i'll start that process.

Another great tip I found on there, is copyrighting your name, which effectively allows you to charge companies contacting you using it for copyright infringement.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens ^^ Thanks for all the help =D

Hey no problemo, pleased to help :yes:
I haven't copyrighted my name yet, haven't really had the need to as of yet but may look into it in the future.
To be honest, i'd seen it and thought it was a great idea but haven't really had much feedback from anyone thats gone ahead and done it.
Another thing that we'll see, and time will tell eh! :yes:

Good luck with your process and look forward to what response you get from them.

FASEN8R

Postby Prajna » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:39 pm

FASEN8R wrote:I haven't copyrighted my name yet, haven't really had the need to as of yet but may look into it in the future.
To be honest, i'd seen it and thought it was a great idea but haven't really had much feedback from anyone thats gone ahead and done it.

I'd hoped you hadn't got round to it because it was a stupid idea, Fasen8r. The response from the authorities is likely to be that you are being disingenuous. What is the point of copyrighting? Do people really think these tits are going to pay out or even take notice of it? This has been discussed before and it is about time this meme died out. The simple fact is that copyright is for 'original artistic work' and doesn't apply to names at the best of times. Trademark does but you have to register those (you know that old register thing?) and anyway that whole area of 'law' is a minefield. I would recommend finding something more worthwhile to research and spend time on.

As if all these names didn't already cause us enough of a problem.

Namaste Bro
FREEDOM Best Before: 11 Sept 2001
http://tomboy-pink.co.uk/ and http://DeclarePeace.org.uk/
Prajna

Postby lofty401 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:01 am

Chill dude, thanks for the feedback though. Just, relax a bit, we can take in the input without you seemingly taking such a harsh tone about it.

But yeah, shan't try that one then, pretty sure it does go on to talk about trademarking or something similar though?

I haven't actually heard anything from them in about 2 weeks now so I guess you never know, they might have given up? I highly doubt that mind, but we'll see. I'll be moving house again soon so we'll see how long it takes them to catch up once that occurs.
lofty401

Postby FASEN8R » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:05 am

Prajna wrote:
I'd hoped you hadn't got round to it because it was a stupid idea, Fasen8r. The response from the authorities is likely to be that you are being disingenuous. What is the point of copyrighting? Do people really think these tits are going to pay out or even take notice of it? This has been discussed before and it is about time this meme died out. The simple fact is that copyright is for 'original artistic work' and doesn't apply to names at the best of times. Trademark does but you have to register those (you know that old register thing?) and anyway that whole area of 'law' is a minefield. I would recommend finding something more worthwhile to research and spend time on.

As if all these names didn't already cause us enough of a problem.

Namaste Bro

Yeah I hear ya prajna, as I said I haven't even identified any reason to research it yet alone try it out mate.
And I dare say you're right in how you 'think' (?) the authorities would respond. Do you know anyone that has gone ahead and tried it?
I'm aware there's been plenty of 'chat' about it but before I write an idea off I like to see positive proof of either its success or failure.

Prajna wrote:The simple fact is that copyright is for 'original artistic work' and doesn't apply to names at the best of times.

With all due respect mate, is this your opinion or are does this insinuate it may work 'sometimes'?

I'm really hoping this isn't coming across that i'm being pedantic, I am genuinely interested in settling my feelings on this 'copyright' idea.

FASEN8R

Next

Return to Utility Bills