British Gas & Electric Arrears

British Gas & Electric Arrears

Postby zenpassedthetest » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:40 pm

I have a friend, Cookie30, who is on Job Seekers Allowance and lives in a bed sit. He has to top up what Housing Benefit pays as their is a short fall. He has just been informed by British Gas that due to all the bills in the property being estimated, they are all in arrears. British Gas wants him to pay back the arrears at £63.00 per month on top of what he already pays for his electric and gas. He is also paying back a loan to the DHSS, so isn't left with much money to pay for food and other essentials. He simply can not afford to pay the arrears back at the rate they want. Any advice will be very much appreciated.
zenpassedthetest

Re: British Gas & Electric Arrears

Postby FASEN8R » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:08 pm

Check out section 187 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 as I 'think' this may be of assistance to you.
Please, anyone correct me if i'm wrong.......
Social Security Administration Act 1992

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I may remember. Involve me and I Learn!!
FASEN8R

Re: British Gas & Electric Arrears

Postby ellie12022 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:49 pm

are the payments now based on actual readings? was it an actual or estimated read when he moved in? at least then your friend would know where they stood, also how old are the bills? I think if they are over a certain time there is some leeway to have them reduced but i'm not sure.

also can he get his electric cheaper elsewhere or is he tied to British Gas being in rented accommodation?
ellie12022

Return to Utility Bills