Non-Compliance/Consumerism

Non-Compliance/Consumerism

Postby nihilist » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am

Hi all,
just thought i'd let you know what i've been up to here in Leeds.
After reading Veronicas' book, it inspired me to become more sovereign, and start my own campaign of non-compliance. I have gone about it a slightly different way though. The reason for this is because if i don't have any respect for another human being or corporation, then i cannot give them even the time of day.
In other words, replying to letters or making phone calls,[all costing money and my time of course] is too much to ask, so i thought, what's the easiest thing for ME!
I just went to the bank and canceled my Sky TV, BT land-line, and internet connection direct debits, phoned TVLA and canceled my licence,and asked for a cheque for the remaining months they owed me, then sat back and waited.
First thing that happened was i got a second TVLA cheque..LOL! They paid me twice!
Then i got all the usual letters through from each party saying my direct debit had been stopped and so on. To cut a long story short, i got credit collectors letters through for just less than a year. I've not heard another thing now for about 6 months, apart from a dodgy visit from council to check my id, to see if i still lived there, which was a bit weird. I haven't canceled my lecky account, but i don't really use that much, [no gas,high rise]Don't use the heating and i cook with an unleaded fuel stove or meths, homemade olive oil lamps etc.
I think if you cancel your land-line [and don't use a microwave/tumor/headfuk device]the collection agencies think you've moved out, particularly if they know you live in a council area. And it must be really irritating to not have a phone number to call to harass someone.
My only other problem now is the water bill.
I sent a survey letter back to Yorkshire water recently, with a bit of scribble at the bottom explaining that it wasn't water consumption that was the problem, it was the standing water charge for roof water that everyone has to pay whether you are there or not. [Been spending time at my girlfriends]
Imagine the relatively small surface area of the roof of a block of flats compared to the number of actual resident living below. In my case it's 46. How can they justify charging each flat nearly £10 every bill for rainwater that has to go from the roof, down a drainpipe and into the sewers. The same amount of water hitting the roof ends up in the drains anyway, as with any dwelling. Blatant piss-taking. And what happens if there's a drought, would it be adjusted accordingly, don't think so.
To my surprise, the manager replied with a letter stating that in 1985 legislation was passed in parliament that said that anyone who lives in a high storey flat should pay because they have a roof over their heads. You see how they make it sound like a privilege, when it's actually a human right.
So my respect levels for yorkshire water plummeted to such an extent that i didn't reply, as i probably should have. Instead i'm just not gonna pay them anything now, and shred any letter that comes through the post.
It would be funny if any bailiffs actually did come round to my flat. I'd happily let them in because there's nothing to take. My most expensive item is my fuel stove that cost £100, but even that gets disassembled/spread around when i finish with it, making it look like junk. Anyway i'm gonna build a false wall to store items like that behind.
I have no TV's here, but i do have what looks like a nice bachelor style leather sofa. Which looks ok at first glance. Until you pull it away from the wall to find that i've massacred the back of it exposing the timber frame inside.
I think extreme non-compliance/non-consumerism would sort out a lot of faults with this country and others. All we have to do is go back to basics for a while.
nihilist
nihilist

Re: Non-Compliance/Consumerism

Postby nihilist » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 am

Is it possible for an admin to move this post to a more appropriate part of the forum please? Sorry, it's my first post.
nihilist

Re: Non-Compliance/Consumerism

Postby nihilist » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Ok it just needs deleting now. Posted this in Utility bills section, as i should have : /
nihilist

Return to Utility Bills