utility bills and contracts

Re: utility bills and contracts

Postby knightron » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Bt Own the exchange Pitano so they are ultimately responsible, However In my local exchange Talk Talk have not unbundled the exchange for their servers so in effect they were sub-letting the broadband signal from BT to sell it to me.. I am no expert in Networking or how the exchange works but , I was led to believe that Talk Talk are pretty much Useless from my own experiences with em.. Bt are not much better But at least with them you have the second line tech team (uk based) that will/Do in my experience with em try their hardest to help you get sorted..

Try clearing the DNS cache and renew your Ip address by flushing it and renewing it from a CMD prompt window That usually speeds things up slightly, but, if you haven't got the signal to start with its like trying to polish a Turd..! If you want me to go through the process with you PM me and I will do what I can for you.. :shake:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
knightron

Postby frogmanbrabs » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 am

My reason for swithching to Talk Talk from BT was simply the price was only £17 / month with basically the same package (£29 with BT) except I will be getting 40gb of download /month instead of the 10 gb I'm getting with BT. I wanted the extra so that I could watch more of the videos being posted on you tube about the goings on around the world. At the moment most of my download comes from watching live footy on the net. So from what a couple of you are saying it's not a good idea then? I don't go live until 14th Feb so I can still cancel and stick with BT. :puzz:
An Open Mind can take you on a journey to anywhere.
frogmanbrabs

Postby pitano1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:08 pm

i dont think anything will change,in your case.
except you will lose any leverage you have with bt

far as i know all the cables will remain the same.

be warned though if you do have any probs 9 times out
of ten you will be put through to india,and it can become a bit frustrating.
when you have spent ages trying to explain a prob,and then the line goes
dead.
if t.t could sort my problem.i would give them 8 from 10.

£120 a year saving,dont sound a bad deal.

if anyone knows of the perfect isp,let us know.. :giggle:
If the machine of government is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.
Henry David Thoreau
ALL UNALIENABLE RIGHTS RESERVED -AB INITIO - Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
pitano1

Postby frogmanbrabs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:45 am

Well I've cancelled the deal with Talk Talk after your comments and other comments I read, Thanks for the advice everyone. I still need to switch to another provider does anyone have an opinion of Plusnet? I know they are a subciduary of BT but they are offering some cheap deals. :thinks:
frogmanbrabs

Postby Prajna » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:55 pm

have a look at demon, Brabs. I used them for many years, both before and after their takeover by Thus, and always had good service from them.

http://www.demon.net/

Namaste
FREEDOM Best Before: 11 Sept 2001
http://tomboy-pink.co.uk/ and http://DeclarePeace.org.uk/
Prajna

Postby frogmanbrabs » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:54 am

Was just wonderin can I charge the gas and lecky companies rent for their meters taking up space in my cupboard? Has anyone tried that?
frogmanbrabs

Postby holy vehm » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 am

frogmanbrabs wrote:Was just wonderin can I charge the gas and lecky companies rent for their meters taking up space in my cupboard? Has anyone tried that?

I havent come across that but i have pondered it myself. The elec company will say they need (by statute rule) access to THEIR meter, yet how can it be theirs, it was placed by the national grid when the house was built, its still the original one.

Im sure we the consumer pay rental on the equipment, if you moved out and had the service terminated i think there is still a standing meter charge so they charge us rent for someone else equipment that is in our own homes. I also think that if you had one of them new smart meters we have to pay the install cost.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby frogmanbrabs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:18 am

In that case then they could argue that if they come round to take a meter reading and I'm not in that they have the right to break in to gain access to their meter. I'm going to write to them and try it and see what happens, maybe a few more of us should try it. They are charging me nearly £30 / quarter for a standing charge at the moment I'm going to tell them that if they are willing to waive the standing charge I will allow them Free rent. If they refuse then I will be charging them rent at a rate of £20/month. Does that sound fair and plausible? :clap:
frogmanbrabs

Postby ellie12022 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm

some companies don't charge standing charges, i'm with one.

Who owns my meter?
The meters are owned by the company responsible for distribution/transportation of the supply to the property i.e. a Host Electricity Company, in the case of electricity, and National Grid or an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT), in the case of gas.
from e-on website.

Update on lovely cuddly smart-meters

http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2012/apr/smart-meter.cfm
ellie12022

Postby cooky560 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Broadband speed is subject to signal degradation, it's like a "signal rot" which makes the connection worse the further the data has to travel, this problem is increased exponentially if there are worn or poor quality components anywhere in the line, and if the line is saturated (more users than it's designed for) (I know this I used to sell broadband and now do technical work). As a result of this large built up areas, and areas a large distance from the local telephone exchange result in very poor broadband speeds, companies are actually required by statute to tell you the estimated speed for your house (and they can test this) before the sale takes place, otherwise the sale is illegal. The ISP is largely unimportant since most ISPs use the same lines, so the only aspect of this the ISP can control is how saturated their servers are. This is usually attempted through bandwidth shaping or traffic management schemes which place artificial limits (computer controlled restriction rather than the physical limitation of the line) on each customer during busy periods to reduce load on the server.

Remedies for this include:

•Living near a telephone exchange that's been recently refitted
•Living in an area near a telephone exchange with relatively few users, since overselling (assuming most users won't use the line to capacity, so they can sell more than the line is designed for) is common
•Ensuring your chosen ISP doesn't have a traffic management or bandwidth shaping policy
•Ensuring your ISP gives you a speed quote before you make the sale, and then do a speed test at http://www.speedtest.com and compare the result with their quote. If the discrepancy is worse than 10%, cancel within the 14 day cooling off period and look elsewhere.
•Finally, using Line Checker tools such as Ping Test (http://www.pingtest.com) to ensure the physical line is of reasonable quality, if you get a grade of less than B, ring up and cancel within the 14 day cooling off period.

You'll find that Cable fares better than over the phone in terms of line degradation due to far higher load-carrying capacity, and the "signal rot" is lower over distance so you can live further from the exchange. However cable ISPs know that their line is superior and allow their higher rate paying customers to use more of it to gain higher speeds (Virgin offers 100mb, and many of their customers actually get it at the expense of poor QOS (quality of service) for lesser rate customers).

Another trick that ISPs use to make their speeds sound better is using a different measurement system to the universally approved ones. Some USB and Hard Drive manufactures do this also which is why a 1TB hard drive ends up being ~950GB on arrival.

Offically, 1TB is 1024GB, 1GB is 1024MB and so on...
ISPs tend to use 1000, this means when they say 5MB they mean 5000kbs, which is actually 4.76MB, and thats tested internally, chances are it'll be 10x lower by the time it reaches the a street 5 miles from an exchange. It's not uncommon for 8MB rated broadband to have an actual speed of around 0.9MB by the time it reaches the customer, mainly due to poorly maintained and oversold lines, both easily solved by fair company policy.

Hopefully this has been of use to someone, PM me if you have more questions, or you want me to make a thread about this.
cooky560

PreviousNext

Return to Utility Bills