Virgin Broadband

Virgin Broadband

Postby IAmKojak » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 am

Hi gang,
Just got a little matter to run by you concerning our virgin broadband contract.
We cut the contract with them, due to my partner losing his job and us having to move home, it was under a year, so we knew there may be a cancelation charge. My partnerhad already been on the phone with BT who kindly agreed to waiver their cancelation charge as a gesture of goodwill (yes, I know, unbelievable but true).

Of course, Virgin would not waiver theirs. They quoted the charge as being £23.50. So, we thought, alright, we'll pay that. When we get the bill sent to our previous address, it's actually for £150.00 inclusive of £23.50 disconnection charge.

I haven't contacted them yet, but when we took on the contract, we were both working, surely losing your job nulls the contract because situations have changed due to inforseen circumstances?? Even BT could see that.

What's best to do - Ignore it, or write back hoping they might be more reasonable? I don't really want them knowing our new address, although, of course, there are ways they will find it out anyway.

I appreciate any help in this matter...
IAmKojak

Re: Virgin Broadband

Postby Farmer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Just tell them you left the country.
If you're scared of 'them' poisoning 'us' with some shit then maybe you haven't noticed the shit they are already poisoning us with.
- prajna - fmotl.co.uk forum 2011
Farmer

Postby IAmKojak » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:24 pm

They can easily find out we still live here.
IAmKojak

Postby Farmer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:59 am

But it's not worth the trouble, so they don't. You should also try and organise your life so that they can't; it's not difficult.
If you're scared of 'them' poisoning 'us' with some shit then maybe you haven't noticed the shit they are already poisoning us with.
- prajna - fmotl.co.uk forum 2011
Farmer

Postby joefree » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 am

Most organisations assume that you will simply pay up because they say so and they use all sorts of legalese to intimidate = the fear factor. I bet many people pay lots of bills they actually don't need to just because they fear the reprisals.

If you don't want to "just leave it" you might want to take the approach that you will pay as long as they show you proof of claim - see the templates section. But make sure you understand what you are doing before you try this.

Joe
Bumper sticker philosophy: "my karma ran over your dogma."
joefree

Postby IAmKojak » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Thank you, Joe, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I do know what I am doing, if they don't respond in my favour, I'm not sure I would know where to go from there. Virgin mean business, I have received a letter from Moorcroft Debt Collection Agency and they tried to phone me this evening, so I could try one of those template letters....??? Anyone had any dealings with Moorcroft? Apparently they have a million accounts open, wooooooo, they sound so proud. I mean, won't they just keep chasing me, are they really likely to just stop chasing after no response???

And Farmer - I can't just keep running, moving home, etc. It's just not feasible for everyone. Also, I know people who move and within months get letters from companies chasing them from address to address.
IAmKojak

Postby Arten » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Who Loves Ya Baby

Just send them payment using their bill check out my thread Negotiable Instruments. I have done this with Virgin and at first they said they had not received the payment (send any payment by recorded delivery) then they said it was unacceptable to pay in this way. I pointed out that on the back of their bills it states you can pay by cheque and I knew they were lying to me.
Yesterday a DCA rang me on behalf of Virgin but I refused to Contract with them which brought the conversations to an abrupt halt. Then Virgin rang me last night and I told them they were meant to send me a new bill and I would pay by cheque, they told me the bill had been reduced by £20. I told them I was going over to Sky. Last night after three weeks of no service my service resumed unexpectedly. Today I have the internet up but my telephone line is completely dead :grin:
Arten

Return to Utility Bills