DOCX Files

DOCX Files

Postby Veronica » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:52 am

These files cannot be read by many people.

Please, when creating Document Attachments, use the .DOC file extension, and format. This should be fairly simple by using the "Save As" facility and selecting the original format.

Since a .DOC contains all the facilities one would ever need, there is absolutely no reason for the .DOCX Format.

Is it really not necessary to be a Sheep and do everything Micro$oft order you to do? Actually "No". I run Office 2000, which is fully-compatible with everything else on the planet. (I also run Win98, btw)

The First Law of Computing: Garbage Out = Garbage In

The Second Law of Computing: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(I only use Windows in order to create compatible software ... whenever I do that. If it were not for that, and that all my 'tools' are Windows-orientated ... purely because of history ... I'd be using Linux)

Further to this subject I'm currently in the process of uploading a couple of CD Images (called .ISOs). They can be downloaded and a CD burned accordingly. If your Operating System doesn't recognise them, then this highly recommended freebie certainly will. (Personally I think it is worth installing anyway, just for the flexibility & facilities it offers)

The two downloads, once burned, form Installs. These are both cracked, so no CD Key thingy is necessary. (No ... I didn't crack them ... in any case I can't imagine Micro$oft giving a shit about them anymore ... they have much bigger Sheeple to fleece these days).

1. Micro$oft Photodraw ... is the only piece of software they actually released that works properly & efficiently ... and leaves Photoshop & all the others standing. (No ... Micro$oft themselves didn't write it. It was originally a freebie/add-on to their freebies they give to OEMs). They no longer release it, and haven't done for years ... presumably because it works, and shows up all their other shyte. Photodraw will do anything you want with any Image. It will normally Save in it's own format (.MIX) which allows full editing & re-editing until you get it right (as you want it). Then use Save As to create the fixed Image ... as a .GIF/.JPG, etc. You can always go back to the .MIX & re-edit & re-create the .GIF/.JPG (UPLOADED)

2. Micro$oft Office 2000 ... once again they have been through Office 2003, and the latest load of crap that creates .DOCXs by default. Do yourself a favour and bin their latest crap. Install vanilla Office 2000, and everyone will be able to read what you write. (UPLOADED)
Freedom's just another word for: "Nothing left to lose" (Janis Joplin)
"There is no path to peace, peace IS the path" (Mahatma Ghandi)
"There is no path to freedom, freedom IS the path" (Veronica Chapman)
Veronica
Founder
Founder

Re: DOCX Files

Postby Farley » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 am

DOCX fils are only read on word 2007.
They cannot be read on office 2000 or on office 2003 unless they are converted to their doc
Farley
Farley

Postby Karl:J » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:02 am

You can of course if you wish install the Office 2007 compatibility pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en it allows Office 2000/2003 to read the new docx format
Men fight for liberty, and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools.
And their grandchildren are once more slaves.
Karl:J

Postby ntomtaylor » Wed May 25, 2011 12:28 pm

For those who use a linux os, or a mac or do not have the current up to date version of microsoft office to open .docx .. you can use google docs, which will open and can edit .docx... also, if your using windows and have no ms office installed but want word, excel.. etc.. I can recommend open office, http://www.openoffice.org/ - takes a bit of getting used to if you've been used to word, but only on advanced featured, pretty much everything is the same.

Also, if you want to completly support communal free open growth through a linux os.. ubuntu desktop - http://www.ubuntu.com/ - particulatly the newest distribution (11.something) is very good and easy to use with little to no technical knowledge needed.. maybe a bit of googling for help every now and then but only as much as a FMOTL has to do anyways :)
Please pm me for my facebook page
ntomtaylor

Postby nowares » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:36 pm

.rtf is supported by just about every operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux, Mobile) ;)
:peace:
nowares

Postby mousematt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 am

Can I just add my two-pennyworth here please?

The .docx idea is what Micro$oft have now realised they should have done in the first place. It's not backwards-compatible without a converter or reader (both freely available), but it is a much better way of producing documents than the .doc format was. This isn't change for change's sake, as so many of M$'s innovations are, but a move towards getting rid of Word's flabby inefficient bloated way of rendering text.

Yes, it's a pain in the arse because we don't necessarily all have the new version of Word which can cope with it, but speaking as a freeman and IT engineer who is instinctively sceptical of all that comes out of any software corporation's labs, docx is actually that rare thing: a Good Thing.

Discuss.
mousematt

Postby Freeman Stephen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:14 am

its not compatible. infact id avoid pdf too and rtf and opt for html for everything. sounds weird right? html can be read on any device that has internet access including shitty mobile phones which we may all at some stage rely on if we are going to follow through rvcp to stage ten.

html is not compressed or in anyway obfuscated or scrambled and has the capability with an embedded style sheet to be as uniformly rendered onto paper as any publishing format. style shheets can be ignored by browsers operating in "mobile" mode so that even the most complex document can be made renderable. also html will open in a quick direct user freindly way even ob a freshly installed os.

the only disadvantage is that it can be oerplexing on most html editors to embed images and the like into the document as opposed to by link to an image url. most browsers will save an html document and its associated images/stylr sheets in a single swoop but make sure you save to html format so if you want to access it again on another device, you arent restricted by proprietry web page save formats. format so if you want to access it again on another device, you arent restricted by proprietry web page save formats.
Freeman Stephen

Postby Dogmai » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:53 pm

The First Law of Computing: Garbage Out = Garbage In

The Second Law of Computing: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

David Braben once said "Hardware-the parts of a computer you can kick" :)
Dogmai

Postby OffTheGrid » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:09 am

Just going through the posts(new member) and noticed this one, so thought I would mention it,you can get the office programe "OpenOffice" which is free and apparently has lifetime free updates, its also compatible with any m/soft office stuff you may have.
http://www.openoffice.org
You probably already know about it, but thought I would throw it out there.
peace
otg
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
-- Thomas Jefferson
OffTheGrid

Postby cooky560 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Mac users can also open doc and docx files with Textedit (free) and Pages (iWork)
cooky560

Next

Return to Land Claims