Our TV Licence letter worked!

BBC related crime in here.

Our TV Licence letter worked!

Postby T&H » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi all,

We wrote to TV licensing saying we did not wish to re-new our licence because we no longer watch TV (for good measure we explained that - we found most programmes to be too sexualised and/or voilent and felt this exposure was not good for the minds of our children, or ourselves). We do however, own a TV to watch DVD;s and play video games, but we understand that it is not 'illegal' to own a TV, only to watch programmes.

An inspector came round, I told him the same, that we do own a TV to watch DVD's and play video games, which is not illegal and politely refused to allow him into my home.

We received a letter from TV licensing saying they would contact us again in 2 years, should we wish to re-new our licence.

T&H
T&H

Re: Our TV Licence letter worked!

Postby jaybee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:49 pm

T&H wrote:An inspector came round,

Did it say inspector on his ID? :thinks: . My guess is that Visiting Officer was his job title. Take away the TVL hogwash and TV licence salesman is his function.

Their mention of contact in 2 years shouldn't be understood that they have put a stop to visits. They will visit again, but in a disguised way. Beware of a pretend Sky salesman calling at your door, asking what TV you watch and whether you want to upgrade to a Sky package.
jaybee

Postby MikeThomas » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:29 pm

My friend did something similar a few years ago. He wrote and told them: " I am not of your planet and your TV has nothing to offer an extraterrestrial like me."

He got the same two year letter! :cheer:
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Postby Nemesis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:33 pm

jaybee wrote:

Did it say inspector on his ID? :thinks: . My guess is that Visiting Officer was his job title. Take away the TVL hogwash and TV licence salesman is his function.

Their mention of contact in 2 years shouldn't be understood that they have put a stop to visits. They will visit again, but in a disguised way. Beware of a pretend Sky salesman calling at your door, asking what TV you watch and whether you want to upgrade to a Sky package.

This is correct, Jaybee.

When it comes to TVL, the golden rule is 'no contact' - of any kind at all.

These are the guys who are the experts: http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php
DISCONNECT FROM THE CRIMINAL GOVERNMENT
Nemesis

Postby Freeman Stephen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

the platinum rule is to detune the hypnobox and start cutting your teeth on these petty bureaucrats to get some practice for the other bureucrats that you dont realise are completely bonkers mad insane while your tuned in to tv.
Freeman Stephen

Postby FASEN8R » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 pm

jaybee wrote:

Seconded.....
Beware.... approx 2 weeks after we received the '2 year' letter, we had someone knock on the door claiming to be from the govt asking if we wanted to check out our loft insulation to see if we qualified for an upgrade....
I smelt a rat, didnt let them in and when I closed the door and returned to the living room, I looked out the window and there was the TV Licensing fear van, sorry I mean 'detector' van :giggle: and no sign of this 'salesman' whatsoever!!!
So I suspect he was actually from the TVL trying to hear/see if the TV was actually on.

We've had no hassle whatsoever since after opening the curtains and giving him a great big juicy grin!!

:peace:

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I may remember. Involve me and I Learn!!
FASEN8R

Postby Freeman Stephen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 pm

i remember getting letters offering free sky tv after i got rid of them.
Freeman Stephen

Postby lizbeth » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:13 am

Hi,
We did the same around 18 months ago, cancelled our license and told them that we didn't watch live TV, only DVD's. I haven't had any trouble or threatening letters, no "inspector" has been to the door. The only thing that did happen was a man came to the door recently claiming to be doing a survey for the BBC and could he ask me some questions about which radio stations we listen to. I said I didn't listen to the radio, and he said "not even in your car? surely you must do" and I said no. hmmm wonder what that was all about, maybe a trap but if it was it didn't work.
Its quite funny really.
Beth
lizbeth

Return to T.V. Licence