I've a confession to make I have not paid the TV licence

BBC related crime in here.

I've a confession to make I have not paid the TV licence

Postby NaRvIcK DeViL » Tue May 24, 2011 12:13 pm

I've a confession to make I have not paid the TV licence since 1992. :clap: Since 1994, I’ve had no letters or visits .I live at the top floor of a 3 story block of flats; I have 2 TVs 2 DVD players ,2 video recorders ,1 freeview box and 1 with a 160GB hard-drive. Up till 1992 I had worked and lived abroad from America, Canada, France, Hong Kong, On returning to this country I could not believe that I had to still pay for the right of the BBC s existence whether I liked it or not .I was even more infuriated knowing that the BBC around the world was financed through voluntary subscription.

BBC America, Canada, India etc are going concerns and a very lucrative one at that! Only here in the UK is its existence assured by a nice little earner that you’re conditioned to call a licence when it’s blatantly a tax on every home that wants to have and use a TV.

On top of all this are the blatant lies that are told to endorse the policing of this anachronism which includes the detector vans and hand held detection devices which to be honest is the biggest load of bull anyone can dream up and the paying public seem to lap this total crap up, it’s as bad as the myth, if not worse than you being told that to get the new freeview digital channels you will have to upgrade your aerial to a new digital one ,there is no such thing as a digital aerial . I myself, I’m still using 2 old indoor aerials and have no problem receiving these channels even though on buying a freeview box with hard-drive it said on the box that it wouldn’t work without a external aerial. Please don’t forget that the new digital channels are on reduced transmission strength until the old analogue signal is finally switched off, you may find that if you live in areas that have already switched that your digital signal strength has increased.

Now if you want to be in the same situation as me where you won’t have to bother ever again paying this tax the steps to accomplish this are very easy indeed and there are 2 rules you should follow one is the - No Contact Rule and the other is the Removal of the Implied Access.

Get informed; Get wise, avoid being legally mugged.

With a bit of savvy they won’t be able to prosecute without ‘You’ complying to their non-existent authority.

Couple of facts they don’t want you to know:

*The Number of prosecutions they claim to do every year 140,000 is a, full in your face blatant lie they are lucky to do 10 to 14 thousand. If you have IQ higher than Bush Junior (he was still president on writing this), which is about the size of my dick, do the maths, the courts would be totally clogged. For a start!

*You DO NOT need a license to own a TV/Video/DVD/Radio/Computer (even with a tuner card)/Mobile phone- the license is only to grant you permission to receive broadcasts live i.e. at the same time as they are transmitted. Watching a program that is recorded on a Tape, Disc, Hard-Drive is perfectly legal.

*Their TV licensing officers, have no more rights than an out-dated door to door salesman putting a foot in your door as you try to slam it shut in their face.

If you are unfortunate enough to open the door to one of these goons then simply say now’t and I mean now’t don’t even acknowledge their existence (if you can resist making witticisms) and close the door. They DO NOT have any right to enter your home. They DO NOT have any right to force you to answer questions- the people to whom convictions are attributed are those who have stupidly confessed. Remember it is they that have to prove you have committed a criminal offence and to enter your home requires a warrant from the courts- trust me this is very burdensome, time consuming and costly, with the magistrate requiring a "good degree" of certainty that a crime has been committed i.e. seeing you physically watching live TV and they’ll need a witness.

One day I hope the licence will go and good riddance- it’s well out of date and the BBC knows this only too well. Some people may choose to subscribe to one/or many of their channels as they do around the world, which I did when I was living in the east coast of the United states- the news coverage you watch here in the UK ‘BBC News 24’ is for our consumption and the countries close to us that can pick up our transmissions which they receive for nothing. Ireland, Norway, Denmark etc and parts of Northern France .The rest of the world gets BBC Worldwide which comes with adverts and to be honest once you’ve watched BBC WW you’ll finally realise that our news should be called “Pravda”

The key here is CHOICE. and not the illusion of choice with a stick over our heads, lets kill off this draconian and unethical stealth tax before the next Royal Charter is renewed because if we don’t this tax will evolve where it will not only rise in cost (Rate of inflation ignored as usual) but the other media companies ITV, Channel4, etc who have already stated they should get a slice, “Will Eventually”.
Hey’ it’s the British way we have a nice gravy train going here which the repressed, compliant people of Britain except, so let’s take advantage of it.
NaRvIcK DeViL

Re: I've a confession to make I have not paid the TV licence

Postby kevin » Tue May 24, 2011 12:21 pm

well said, good post! I'm only 2 and a half years and counting, yes I have a TV not that I watch it much. the amount of people who guarenteed me I'd be fined and in prison in the first month amazed me when I stopped paying it. love that fear factor!!
kevin

Postby treeman » Tue May 24, 2011 8:03 pm

What's a television licence. 30 years. :grin:
I'll make no subscription to their paradise.

All Rights Reserved - Without Prejudice - Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
Errors & Omissions Excepted
treeman

Postby huntingross » Tue May 24, 2011 8:54 pm

What are we talking about
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed May 25, 2011 12:06 pm

never had 1, never will have 1 :clap:
“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”
rebelwithoutaclue

Postby ROO13 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:46 pm

lol we are all rebels - I haven't had one for nearly 3 years, and they never bother me - the odd letter comes, but thats about it :cheer:
simply here to learn........
ROO13

It would really Rankle an American

Postby NaRvIcK DeViL » Tue May 31, 2011 9:16 am

It would really Rankle an American to be forced once a year to write out a cheque to the Goverment for $281(£145.50) just for the right to use his own television receiver.

This is not a cultural thing at all — it Rankles people in the UK, where everybody has to do just that.

The “TV Licence” is a holdout from the theory that any use of the spectrum, either transmitting and/or receiving, makes the user into a “station” and its location should therefore be authorized with a bit of paper. Now, of course, it is just a tax. But it is a tax for a purpose.

The first Radio Licence was issued in 1922 at an annual cost of 10 shillings (two dollars at that time) and stayed at that level until 1946 when the first TV Licence (including radio) was issued for £2.
Contrast that with today's price tag of £145.50 and rising every year ignoring the rate of inflation as usual.
The money that is collected pays for the BBC's programming on six TV channels, network radio services, and all the regional TV and radio production and engineering costs.

The anachronism is that it is not a license to watch BBC programming: It is a license to watch UK TV.

The separation of church and state between the BBC and the UK government has always been a cornerstone of the corporation — although there have been some really interesting shades of grey there over the years — and the original decision to fund the BBC from a license fee meant that the authorities could say that taxpayer money was not being used… an interesting exercise in logic.

For many years the money was collected by the Post Office and handed to the BBC through the home office. In 1991 the BBC took over the unpleasant task of collecting the fees itself and created the TV Licensing Authority to at least distance itself in name.

This group employs 1800 people to collect the money, issue licenses and enforce the law. Five hundred of those employees work away from the headquarters and the vast majority are inspectors who look to identify what averages about 1000 licence evaders every day. With over 28 million licences in force, at £145.50, there is clearly a very large amount of money involved. And with the number of households known to be over 31 million, the TVLA is very interested in the three million who are not licenced.

When you buy a TV, VCR etc..., the retailer is forced under law to report the sale to the TVLA. If that buyer's address is not in the database they get a letter. Even if you don't buy a product you are likely to get a letter anyway, often a lot of letters, because the authority just doesn't seem to believe that anyone can do without television.

Do you have a Second home? Get another licence. Are you a Student at college? Get another licence. Rent a room in someone's house? Get another licence. Use TV at work? Get another licence. Operate a hotel? Get a license for the first 15 receivers and then another licence for every five more.

Legally blind? You still need a license but you do get a 50 percent discount — such generosity !!.

So, after you buy that new TV with cash and give a false name and address, how do they catch you? If you are not in the database as being licenced, your residence may be visited by an inspector looking for the telltale flicker of a CRT, or you may be driven past by the all-scary “Detector Van”!.
It used to be that the post office would announce when one was going to be in an area and, magically, Licences would be bought in bulk. But did the vans even work? Yes, they did at the begining ; picking up the TV's local oscillator, the operators could even tell the residents which channel they had been watching, but now they "claim" that their equipment is so sensitive that there are handheld units in service.(this is utter tosh)

You don't need a licence if you don't connect a TV to an antenna, cable or satellite receiver and just use it to play back pre-recorded tapes or DVDs, nor if you only watch satellite TV originating 'outside the UK'. But how do you prove it?

The PC user with a TV card has been the most popular target in the last 18 months, but an even sorrier situation has arisen with a decision that a broadband user who is streaming video from the BBCi - Web site also needs a licence. But don't worry if you are streaming BBC television news in the United States, they are only going after UK users.

At the cost involved for the Licences there is inevitably going to be cheating or evasion. Those that propose taxing the Internet in some way should look at this as a cautionary tale… but that's another story .
NaRvIcK DeViL

Postby kevin » Tue May 31, 2011 11:57 am

perhaps I should buy one and send them a £200 administration fee
kevin

Postby NaRvIcK DeViL » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:24 am

The strange case of Argos and the detector van people

Not a lot of people know this... but they should

What companies do with your private data is an emotive subject. As technology leads to more organisations knowing more about you than ever before, controlling who has access to what information has become a big issue - one which the Information Commissioner's office is well aware of, and, broadly speaking, is doing a good job of policing.

Look no further than recent changes to the law which require all 'data controllers' to ask your permission to pass on your details to third parties. In the bad old days, it was assumed you had given this permission unless you specifically stated otherwise.

So in these more enlightened times, you can understand the surprise one customer of Argos recently, having bought a TV from their website Argos.co.uk.

He didn't check any tick boxes saying 'please do pass on my data to anyone you like'. But he soon received a letter from the TV licensing people telling him that he didn't have a licence even though he'd just ordered a new set. (We're not read by evil licence fee-dodgers, of course - the document was in his mother's name).

Argos had clearly passed on his details to TV Licensing without his permission. A data protection breach? Not so. The Information Commissioner's office states this is allowed under the terms of the 1967 Wireless Telegraphy Act. The data protection act does not apply when it comes to buying a telly. (NB: TV Licensing only gets your name and address: your bank account details are perfectly safe).

Did you know that? A straw poll suggest most people aren't aware that simply buying a TV gives the bloodhounds at TV Licensing a trail to follow.
But in these enlightened times, surely we should be aware of it? Which begs the question: whose job is it to educate us?

Not the Information Commissioner's office. It's nothing to do with them. The BBC? Maybe, although its interest is in getting hold of your cash. It's hardly going to spend time telling you all the ins and outs of its revenue collection process.

That leaves the retailers themselves. I think the responsibility lies squarely with them. How hard is it for an e-tailer to have a pop-up appear when you order a TV spelling things out? How hard is it for the person behind the till to tell you TV Licensing will be informed of your purchase? Not hard at all.

You might think this is a minor issue, and one which only concerns those who want to avoid paying their licence fees. But as we said, these are supposed to be enlightened times. Only if companies tell us EXACTLY what they're doing with our data will we trust them. And that's what the Data Protection Act is all about,isn't it
NaRvIcK DeViL

Return to T.V. Licence