This has certainly been an eventful afternoon

BBC related crime in here.

Re: This has certainly been an eventful afternoon

Postby Fractelle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Im not clear after reading this thread if its an offense to receive 'any' tv signals at all, from anywhere in the world/country or just live ones broadcast by the BBC - I had thought it was just the BBC? Can anybody clarify please?
Fractelle

Postby Freeman Stephen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:16 pm

its an offence for anyone who is under the communications act 2003 to have tv recieving equipment installed at a premises for which theres no licence. this means a tv tuner attached to a screen/recorder and an aeriel but generally if your getting a signal even if theres no aeriel they will tey to push you into joinder
Freeman Stephen

Postby kevin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:25 pm

Fractelle wrote:Im not clear after reading this thread if its an offense to receive 'any' tv signals at all, from anywhere in the world/country or just live ones broadcast by the BBC - I had thought it was just the BBC? Can anybody clarify please?

it is only an (alleged) offence if your equipment is capable of receiving live tv broadcasts from anywhere. if your tv is not capable of receiving a signal you do not require a license according to their rules, I think you do not require a license anyway :wink:
kevin

Postby Fractelle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm

My tv is capable of receiving a signal but there isnt one coming in to the house - i just use the tv for films connected to a combi dvd/video player but the comp is another matter - one time when they knocked on the door they got heavy bout the comp..... and Im still livid from last time an 'officer' called, I brushed her off and she (Im female too) replied with "well, no matter, Ill just come back with my male colleagues".... I was stunned into inaction, gobsmacked as we say round here.... and like a fool I didnt get her name - so then a couple of weeks ago I got a letter telling me they have singled my property out for special attention but I can get round it by filling out a form - which requires my signature and they aint having it or any confirmation of my name - I dont really know what to do other than just not answer the blummin door anymore as they have had me in court a couple of times already......
Fractelle

Postby pitano1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:22 pm

heres a signal,for them....FUCK OFF.

put up a NOTICE implied right of access removed,to all of the following,then
list all the arsholes,you dont want on your property :giggle:
If the machine of government is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.
Henry David Thoreau
ALL UNALIENABLE RIGHTS RESERVED -AB INITIO - Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
pitano1

Postby Fractelle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:23 pm

I might just do that :grin:

But its a bit daft when what they are insisting I have is a TV license, not a computer license..........
Fractelle

Postby Fractelle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Freeman Stephen wrote:its an offence for anyone who is under the communications act 2003 to have tv recieving equipment installed at a premises for which theres no licence. this means a tv tuner attached to a screen/recorder and an aeriel but generally if your getting a signal even if theres no aeriel they will tey to push you into joinder

Even if that equipment is incomplete? The sky box broke so I didnt bother repairing it and there isnt a terrestrial ariel so although the tv is technically capable of receiving a signal, there is no signal for it to receive....... do I ask them to go away and amend their documents to force me to have a computer license? or is that implied in some of their other gumph.......?

What on earth ever happened to innocent till proven guilty? The comp is capable of receiving a signal but that doesnt mean to say that it is used for that - I bought the comp for totally different reasons........
Fractelle

Postby Freeman Stephen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:50 pm

a tv signal is a radio frequency transmission in the tv bands. it is not yet a video stream from the internet but it could be a video stream from a tv tuner stick for your pc. if your tv doesnt get a signal tvl will leave you alone if you demonstrate that to them on one of their visits.
Freeman Stephen

Postby pitano1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:48 pm

What on earth ever happened to innocent till proven guilty?

`corpus juris`
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
you are not obliged to speak to t.v.l,or anyone else.

if you are concerned about them..PUT UP A NOTICE.

or just shut the door in their face,when they call
If the machine of government is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.
Henry David Thoreau
ALL UNALIENABLE RIGHTS RESERVED -AB INITIO - Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
pitano1

Postby chomerly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Fractelle,

I wouldn't worry. If you do not have an active signal coming into the home that the television can pick up then there is nothing to worry about.
I would be wary of them touching your television set and make it clear that they are not allowed to.
Even with a warrant they are only allowed to check if it is receiving one so if they managed to get a warrant and you let them in, let them take the remote control and try all the channels. Usually 1 - 5.
Once they have done that but no picture was shown then YOU turn off the TV. I have heard that they have a tendency of sticking their fingers onto the RF socket for the TV which makes the 'person' doing it an ambient aerial.
Basically the signal is boosted by whomever is touching the socket through conductivity and they will report this as you receiving live broadcasts regardless of the quality.
It may also be a good idea to detune your TV so if they tried this all they would get is static.

As for your computer.
Set up a password, if you haven't already done so, that requires you to log onto windows once it's started up.
Should you get a knock on the door then all you do is press and hold the windows key and simultaneously press L. This will lock windows which will require you to enter your password.
If your computer is already turned off them let them sit at your computer and turn it on.
Once it gets to the windows login stage the agent will ask you to enter your password or for it.
You just advise them that you are only required to do as the warrant asks and it it doesn't say anything about passwords. And remind them that there is no requirement for you to give or offer it. If they say otherwise then ask the for the warrant which stipulates that you must.
It would be a good idea to ask them to LOOK at the rear of the computer and identify which port is the one the believe is being used as means to receive a tv signal.
They won't be able to and they may try to lie and point at the USB port. Laugh at them and say it is a multi-functional port which is not used for the purposes of watching tv and also ask for their qualification in being able to determine their accusation as being factually true.
Watch the bastard cringe. Lol
They may threaten to remove your computer from the home for further inspection. Ask them again for the warrant which states they would be allowed to do so.
Obviously there won't be one as it would take a serious crime for the removal of your property from the home and this could only be done by the police anyway. This would mean that a separate warrant would be needed for them to do this.

As for the letter of 'Special Attention' just write a letter asking them to clarify if that is a threatening letter that you have received as the language used is threatening.
Also send them a Notice of removal of implied right of access a day later than the letter of clarification of the previous letters intent, and give them 7 days to respond. Be sure to add a fee schedule too. There are plenty of examples on the site that you can use to get you going.

Don't worry about their threats. It's bullying tactics designed to induce a certain level of fear that gives them better forms of control over you.
It's all a crock and they have NO power and they never have had it.
Threats of fines and door visits are nothing.
A lot of people believe that if they turn up on your doorstep that you are required to let them in and they have the authority to demand it. NO YOU DON'T AND NO THEY DON'T.
If that was true it would mean they have more power than the police.

If you want some advice then just ask on these forums.
I'm pretty quick to respond but remember, it is only advice. I can only guide you in the manner in which i would do it myself.

Don't worry. We're all here for you.

:love: :hug: :love:
Last edited by chomerly on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
chomerly

PreviousNext

Return to T.V. Licence