This has certainly been an eventful afternoon

BBC related crime in here.

Re: This has certainly been an eventful afternoon

Postby greg » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:03 pm

greg

Postby chomerly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 am

The problem with the first statement on that video is that it assumes that their SHOULD BE a fee for avoidance if you watch TV. But what if you want to watch TV but don't want to watch any BBC channels?
Should we be made to pay for channels that we have no intention of watching?
chomerly

Postby Fractelle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:14 am

chomerly wrote:The problem with the first statement on that video is that it assumes that their SHOULD BE a fee for avoidance if you watch TV. But what if you want to watch TV but don't want to watch any BBC channels?
Should we be made to pay for channels that we have no intention of watching?

Thanks for your earlier comment Chomerly :apple:

I wonder why the other channels dont make a claim on the BBC for some of the dosh if its being claimed from people watching channels other than the BBC - is that a dumb question :thinks:
Fractelle

Postby greg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am

If any of these t!ts ever knock on my door I'll ask them:

"Do I look stupid to you?"

"no sir"

"Then what makes you think I watch TV? Now p-i-s-s o-f-f"

I haven't watched it for two years now and I'm practically allergic to it. I strongly suggest you turn it off, turn on some amazing music instead and relax.

These people have no power over you mate, just stop worrying about it.

If you feel you need to speak to them, then why not get some leaflets from your local Jehovah's witnesses and try to 'convert' any of these chancers who may turn up? Could make for an interesting discussion on the relative authority of TVL and Jehovah. I dare say he'd run a mile.
greg

Postby Fractelle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am

chomerly wrote:Fractelle,

I wouldn't worry. If you do not have an active signal coming into the home that the television can pick up then there is nothing to worry about.
I would be wary of them touching your television set and make it clear that they are not allowed to.
Even with a warrant they are only allowed to check if it is receiving one so if they managed to get a warrant and you let them in, let them take the remote control and try all the channels. Usually 1 - 5.
Once they have done that but no picture was shown then YOU turn off the TV. I have heard that they have a tendency of sticking their fingers onto the RF socket for the TV which makes the 'person' doing it an ambient aerial.
Basically the signal is boosted by whomever is touching the socket through conductivity and they will report this as you receiving live broadcasts regardless of the quality.
It may also be a good idea to detune your TV so if they tried this all they would get is static.

[quote Thanks for this really helpful reply!!!
]Its unlikely they will be able to act as an aerial as its a really bad signal area to begin with but I will de-tune the tv - any suggestions how thats done?
[/quote]

As for your computer.
Set up a password, if you haven't already done so, that requires you to log onto windows once it's started up.
Should you get a knock on the door then all you do is press and hold the windows key and simultaneously press L. This will lock windows which will require you to enter your password.
If your computer is already turned off them let them sit at your computer and turn it on.
Once it gets to the windows login stage the agent will ask you to enter your password or for it.
You just advise them that you are only required to do as the warrant asks and it it doesn't say anything about passwords. And remind them that there is no requirement for you to give or offer it. If they say otherwise then ask the for the warrant which stipulates that you must.
It would be a good idea to ask them to LOOK at the rear of the computer and identify which port is the one the believe is being used as means to receive a tv signal.
They won't be able to and they may try to lie and point at the USB port. Laugh at them and say it is a multi-functional port which is not used for the purposes of watching tv and also ask for their qualification in being able to determine their accusation as being factually true.
Watch the bastard cringe. Lol
They may threaten to remove your computer from the home for further inspection. Ask them again for the warrant which states they would be allowed to do so.
Obviously there won't be one as it would take a serious crime for the removal of your property from the home and this could only be done by the police anyway. This would mean that a separate warrant would be needed for them to do this.

Theres no way they will take anything out of here on that warrant, believe it :giggle: I have three accounts on my comp, all used by myself, will they have the right to ask me to open each one of can I at that stage tell them they are pushing their luck?
This is all assuming they actually get in as I have no intention of opening the door to them and if they do catch me on the hop I dont have to say a word so they can then come back with their pieces of paper by which time I will have done some tidying up :grin:

As for the letter of 'Special Attention' just write a letter asking them to clarify if that is a threatening letter that you have received as the language used is threatening.
Also send them a Notice of removal of implied right of access a day later than the letter of clarification of the previous letters intent, and give them 7 days to respond. Be sure to add a fee schedule too. There are plenty of examples on the site that you can use to get you going.

Don't worry about their threats. It's bullying tactics designed to induce a certain level of fear that gives them better forms of control over you.
It's all a crock and they have NO power and they never have had it.
Threats of fines and door visits are nothing.
A lot of people believe that if they turn up on your doorstep that you are required to let them in and they have the authority to demand it. NO YOU DON'T AND NO THEY DON'T.
If that was true it would mean they have more power than the police.

Enough is enough - Im just sick and tired of the bullying, if I hadnt been so gobsmacked at that woman threatening me with her male colleagues I would have phoned the police and complained about threatening behaviour on my doorstep - the whole thing is archaic, other tv companies make a do without having to resort to fascist tactics :puzz:

If you want some advice then just ask on these forums.
I'm pretty quick to respond but remember, it is only advice. I can only guide you in the manner in which i would do it myself.

Don't worry. We're all here for you.

Awww, thats lovely, thanks :love: :hug: the bastards wont get me a third time with such brilliant help :giggle:

:love: :hug: :love:[/quote]
Fractelle

Postby Fractelle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:53 am

greg wrote:If any of these t!ts ever knock on my door I'll ask them:

"Do I look stupid to you?"

"no sir"

"Then what makes you think I watch TV? Now p-i-s-s o-f-f"

I haven't watched it for two years now and I'm practically allergic to it. I strongly suggest you turn it off, turn on some amazing music instead and relax.

These people have no power over you mate, just stop worrying about it.

If you feel you need to speak to them, then why not get some leaflets from your local Jehovah's witnesses and try to 'convert' any of these chancers who may turn up? Could make for an interesting discussion on the relative authority of TVL and Jehovah. I dare say he'd run a mile.

Im taking the advice from here and not answering the door to unexpected callers and if I do happen to do so then I am just going to politely say 'no thanks' and close the door.....

Im an ardent atheist and couldnt in all conscience even pretend to be a believer - even for such a good cause, tempting as it may be :giggle:
Fractelle

Postby Freeman Stephen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:19 am

could be on to something regards "conversion" but why not pray that their human selves are delivered from bondage to the evil one so that their spirits may live in the freedom of the kingdom to come, amen. :)
Freeman Stephen

Postby kevin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:17 pm

A friend of mine has just cancelled his, can't think where he got the idea :thinks:
kevin

Postby chomerly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:36 pm

I'd just get a recording device and begin recording before i answer the door to whoever knocks.
You can always delete it and start again and on the off chance of it being TVL, they will certainly bring their bullying tactics under manners.

It's amazing how quickly they become meek and change to a 'i'm only doing my job' attitude once a camera or audio recording device is trained on them.

They will probably tell you to stop recording them once they see it but you can just say no as it is your right to record anyone on your property.
I'd go as far as to laminate a notice telling whoever comes knocking that they may be recorded via audio or video for security and training purposes. :giggle:
chomerly

Postby kevin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm

chomerly wrote:I'd go as far as to laminate a notice telling whoever comes knocking that they may be recorded via audio or video for security and training purposes. :giggle:

I don't bother talking to them, I've got better things to do :)
kevin

Previous

Return to T.V. Licence