TV Licence Knowledge base

BBC related crime in here.

Re: TV Licence Knowledge base

Postby fredqwerty » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Regarding the earlier link to
http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Detector%20vans.htm
( http://www.buckman-hardy.co.uk/project_portfolio.html )
Television Detection Equipment - Buckman Hardy Associates designed and manufactured a range of television detection equipment for the BBC. A hand held two channel detector picks up small signals emitted by the television, and by using a combination of analogue and digital signal processing techniques the detector is able to display distance and direction to the nearest television.

So What ?!
It is the use of a TV (to receive ..... ) that is supposed to be illegal.
fredqwerty

Postby drew » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:23 pm

hi all
i got a similar reply from bbc,saying "you need a tv licence if you use your tv for watching programmes as they are been broadcasted live or nearly live."
it doesnt say recorded programmes,and by that i mean a programme that was aired the day or week before
WRITE to them and ASK them to LIST the CHANNELS that you NEED a licence for,which they probably wont do,(they didnt for me anyway).i cant find the letter at the mo' but they said bbc1,bbc2,itv, and some other(i cant remember exactly) but they didnt say any of the other channels, on, say 'sky or cable'
they have called at my house but i dont answer the door much because friends let themselves in,and all they've have done is post a notice thro my letterbox that says"WE TOLD YOU WE'D CALL".
since i havent been replying to their intimidation they have started addressing me as THE OCCUPIER and not by my name as used on the last tv licence i purchased over 2 year ago
i'm drawing to the conclusion with this freeman stuff,that if you never reply/correspond to companys,then they have no-one to correspond with,i think that if you just put a blank sticker over your address,with nothing written on it,anywhere,then pop it back in the post,it should then return to sender or better still rip it up and dont even notice it.JUST DONT ANSWER THE DOOR TO ANYONE YOU DONT KNOW.this might work if you've just moved into a new house
or change your name by deed poll and write/type on their letters"person not known"or along them lines
only a thought of mine :thinks:
peace and love
drew
drew

Postby jamesholbein » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:49 pm

I return all mail as RTS no contract. Man came to door few weeks ago wanting name etc. Told him he was conspiring with traitors and sent him on his way. hasn't been back since but letters have arrived with legal occupier rather than my name now. had a right good search and no legal occupier here, only a lawful occupier. wonder if that will do for them, must ask when he returns.
peace jim
Unconditional love is the answer, what was the question?
jamesholbein

Postby Sovereign Man » Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 pm

A CONFESSION & AN APOLOGY. Some years ago I worked as a TV Licensing Enforcement Officer (EO). What follows is advice and information from the inside for the benefit of the wider community. When a TVL ‘Visiting Officer’ calls at an address where there is no record of a license, s/he has several objectives. The first is database cleansing. There are so many corrupt or duplicate entries on their database of 27 Million addresses that they will never properly clean it.

GET THE MONEY. The second (but foremost) purpose is Revenue Collection. When TVL was in the public sector and run by the Post Office, ‘evasion’ was stable at about eight per cent. When TVL was privatised and operated by the corporation known as Capita, ‘evasion’ dropped to six per cent in the first twelve months. One year later it was four per cent.

GET THE NAME. When a TVL EO visits an unlicensed address his/her first question is:
‘Do you live here?”
Once an admission of residence is obtained the EO has to get the Name. A simple ploy is to declare something like:
‘I have a letter for you but I need to make sure I deliver to the correct person. Can you tell me your name please?’

IDENTIFY YOURSELF. Only after getting the Name will an EO identify her/himself. At this point s/he will start to complete a written record of ‘The Prosecution Interview.’ This is the ‘Contemporaneous Record’ that will be referred to in court. Then he (or she) has to get admission of use of the television. Frequently, it may be seen through the window so denial is implausible. Once admission of use is declared it is immediately followed by:

THE FIRST CAUTION “You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in Court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. Do you understand?”

THE INSPECTION. Then the EO will ask if s/he may come in to inspect the TV. S/he may start walking in as s/he asks the question, presuming a positive response on your part. S/he may only enter if invited in by you. Once inside the EO only needs to confirm that the TV is available for use. For this s/he will ask you to switch the television on. (This avoids any possible allegation of the EO damaging the TV). If ANY amount of broadcast picture is visible or ANY amount of broadcast sound is audible, that is all that is needed to establish the precedent ‘ Available to watch.’ (If no aerial is connected, a picture or sound may be obtained by putting a pen in the old analogue aerial socket).

THE SECOND CAUTION. Once usage is established, the EO will continue to record the make and model of the television, and the channel and programme seen. The prosecution interview is terminated by the second caution which is:
‘I have to tell you that you may be prosecuted for an offence under the Communications Act 2005. Is there anything you want to say?’ This second caution is important because it gives you the opportunity to mount your defence.

SIGNATURES. You will be invited to sign the document. The EO will sign the document and a carbon copy will be left with you. Then the interview is finished. You will be offered options to pay. Payment in full by cash, credit card, debit card; Annual, Quarterly or Monthly direct debit. If you have no bank account you may pay by monthly or weekly cash account at any PayPoint.

SEARCH WARRANTS. The use of a search warrant may only be invoked where the EO has reasonable belief that an unlicensed TV is in use. For this there needs to be two pieces of evidence. The presence of an aerial and sight of a TV listings magazine for example. In 2006/2007 EOs were instructed by TVL management that they had to submit not less than one application for a search warrant each month. This was because so few warrants had been applied for that they were in danger of losing that facility. I was subjected to bullying by the management to achieve this target even though in four years service I never had reason to apply for even one.

REBUTTALS. If anyone knocks on your door and starts asking questions about who you are and do you live here, there is no reason for you to answer him/her. When asked, a TV Licensing officer MUST produce his/her identity document. The one response that will stop an EO is:
‘I’m the babysitter.”

NOTA BENE. Even a short term visitor with one overnight stop over will be subjected to an interview under caution and be liable to pay for the license. And be liable to prosecution. So for your own protection:

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS. Do not answer any questions. The best response to a question is another question such as:
‘Why is that important to you?’ And remember, the person who asks the most questions controls the conversation. And above all, do not allow any access to your property.

ONE MORE THING. Please remember that these people are human beings too. They do what they do for the same reasons we do what we do. To keep a roof over their heads. To put food on the table and to clothe their children. They just don’t know the difference between the person that they are and the Legal Fiction they hear every day. They too should be treated with courtesy and respect. We have the opportunity to be Ambassadors for every Free Man (& Woman) On The Land. We have the opportunity to awaken and educate those who stand under the ‘Authority’ of the TV Licensing Company (Capita). Be evangelists. Waken these sleeping children so that together we can make all men and women Free.
Sovereign Man

Postby T&H » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:15 pm

May I ask a question...
We genuinely do not watch regular TV, i.e. BBC, ITV, CH4 etc. we do however pay for a basic Sky package to access some of the children's channels for the kids to watch at the wkends and maybe a couple of other channels. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if these channels are under TV licensing "jurisdiction"? Obviously it's neither in our interest or necessary for us to offer up this information in the first place, but if they discovered that we pay for a sky package, could that be used by them as "evidence" that we watch TV?
T&H

Postby jaybee » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:04 pm

T&H wrote:May I ask a question...
We genuinely do not watch regular TV, i.e. BBC, ITV, CH4 etc. we do however pay for a basic Sky package to access some of the children's channels for the kids to watch at the wkends and maybe a couple of other channels. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if these channels are under TV licensing "jurisdiction"? Obviously it's neither in our interest or necessary for us to offer up this information in the first place, but if they discovered that we pay for a sky package, could that be used by them as "evidence" that we watch TV?

If you receive TV programmes by means of an aerial or satellite dish, then there is a statutory requirement that you have a TV licence. If someone from TV Licensing visits and sees a satellite dish which appears to be in working order, they will knock on the door and make enquiries.
There are those who believe that Sky will not share data with the BBC, but I wouldn't trust to it being the case.
jaybee

Re: TV Licence Knowlage base

Postby T&H » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Veronica wrote:
huntingross wrote:
You do not need a TV licence if you own a device or devices that are capable of receiving or recording live TV broadcast signals.

I believe the possession of this equipment is considered to be proof of use however.

No ... if TVL are actually 'pushed' they will admit that only the USE of it is the liability. There was a case that went to the House of Lords over this point.

I just re-read the thread and as I understand... OWNING such equipment is irrelevant, the licence is for USING the equipment, which is impossible for them to prove.
The wording on the licence states that "if you do not watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV..." it says nothing about OWNING equipment to watch or record television programmes.
So... we no longer watch or record tv programmes, we just haven't taken down the equipment i.e. the ariel and sat dish! ...and there's no law against that. Right? :grin:
T&H

Postby Chug » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Nice little post Sovereign Man, some good info there.

I also suggest peeps have a read of the TVL document here, it is a good insight into how they work.
http://www.televisionlicence.info/downloads/documents/2008_08_01_visiting_procedures.pdf

If anyone, not just tvl, comes to your door (or telephones you) asking questions, the first thing I say is Who are you or, Who is calling please? once they have identified themselves, it's up to you to decide if you want to engage with them but just saying no thank you and shutting the door works well for me and many others, some of whom have used this same tactic for over 25 years.
Don't forget you have the right to remain silent. Even to the police!

love n harmony in the community
Chug
Enemy of the state
You can fool some people sometimes But you can't fool all the people all the time, So now we see the light, We gonna stand up for our right, So you'd better, Get up stand up, stand up for your right, get up, stand up, don't give up the fight.
Chug

Postby Chug » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm

fredqwerty wrote:Regarding the earlier link to
http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Detector%20vans.htm
( http://www.buckman-hardy.co.uk/project_portfolio.html )
Television Detection Equipment - Buckman Hardy Associates designed and manufactured a range of television detection equipment for the BBC. A hand held two channel detector picks up small signals emitted by the television, and by using a combination of analogue and digital signal processing techniques the detector is able to display distance and direction to the nearest television.

So What ?!
It is the use of a TV (to receive ..... ) that is supposed to be illegal.

A FOI request asking how many prosecutions have been made on just the alleged 'evidence ' from this so called TV detection equipment alone and not just the subsequent admission by the householder when told they were told they had been monitored watching tv, resulted in the BBC/TVL sidestepping so as not to answer that they don't really work and no prosecutions have been made on detector evidence alone!

love n harmony in the community
Chug
Enemy of the state
You can fool some people sometimes But you can't fool all the people all the time, So now we see the light, We gonna stand up for our right, So you'd better, Get up stand up, stand up for your right, get up, stand up, don't give up the fight.
Chug

Postby hurn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35 pm

first visit of the year
was in me car setting up my gear for work when i noticed a car driving past and looking at the house,so straight away realized it was the pirate
so sat and watched as he approached the gate and i got out of me car

ME)hello m8 can i help you

PIRATE)does a miss rxdx live here

ME)who are you

PIRATE)cant answer that unless you can confirm miss rxdx live here because of the data protection act

ME)oh right so who are you

PIRATE)does she live here

ME)no i do

ME)who are you

PIRATE)im making inquiries because this address is without a TV license

ME)oh right already sent them a letter saying that there services are no longer required

PIRATE)OK is this definitely ..he says the house address

ME) m8 the number is on the wall

PIRATE)oh yea i see it now ,just that you were down for a visit on the 24th December and he couldn't find it
(now this is bull shit as i watched the pirate enter my garden and knock on the door then walk out as i couldn't answer it as i wasn't on the other side of it he then got in his car and drove off and that wasn't on the above date either it was at least a month before)

ME)oh right no one came then as i was in

PIRATE)not to worry.(didn't even ask who i was we didn't enter my garden just walked down the side of the house)i see you have no TV Ariel up or is that it there

ME)that is a old scanner Ariel that needs to be removed as its not used and there is no cable connected

PIRATE)do you have a TV

ME)no m8 we don't watch it anymore kids have grown up and moved on and the missus is always buisy making her chocolate goodies and im never here im always out driving

PIRATE)OK but you can still use it to watch DVDs

ME)it never gets turned on anymore intact its disconnected

ME)so why have you come do you think i was telling lies in my letter m8

PIRATE)not at all,you do know that they will send someone else out don't you to check the TV

ME)well the way i see it if i shop at Morrison all the time then one week i don't go in ,so the manager comes to my house and confronts me and asks why haven't you been buying from my shop this week.you see i think i have the choice whether to buy or not to buy but people don't need to spy on me just because i haven't bought off yous but i did send a letter confirming this

PIRATE)its OK leave it with me and ill sort it

ME)OK then m8 have a good year

he then left and drove off so i will see what happens now ..if you noticed i did not use any freeman stuff didn't try and be clever or try to put him in any predicament that would of made him feel threatened i gave him the utmost respect and spoke to him as i would of expected him to speak to me he came across as a genuine helpful human but time will tell

(posted on other forums)
DONT WORRY IT WONT BE LONG NOW the countdown has started
hurn

PreviousNext

Return to T.V. Licence