TV Licence Knowledge base

BBC related crime in here.

TV Licence Knowledge base

Postby samsmith » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:33 am

TV Licence Knowledge Base

The information contained in this thread will be changed or amended as an ongoing project. This will primarily be due to research that is undertaken to challenge all points that are generally accepted as being valid or true at the start of it.

Introduction to TV Licensing

TV Licences are covered by the “Communications Act 2003”

Link: http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?activeTextDocId=817413

Shortened and simplified meaning of the act as discussed here :-

If you use a device to receive or record, live, or nearly live TV broadcast signals in the UK, under Statute Legislation you are required to have a licence to do so.

This is the only reason you need to have a TV licence.

Failure to have a licence, and found guilty of using said devices as stated above may make you liable to forfeit of some nature under statute legal practices used in the U.K.

You do not need a TV licence if you own a device or devices that are capable of receiving or recording live TV broadcast signals.

TV Licensing Enforcement

TV licensing enforcement is carried out on behalf of the BBC under the trading name of TV Licensing. TV Licensing (TVL) are not a company in their own right, it is a name simply used by the BBC with it seems, the intention of separating the BBC from the collection service in the mind of the public. TVL employees are employees of the BBC, or of companies contracted by the BBC to act on their behalf.

Example: Almost all “TVL inspectors” are employed by Capita but are working to the BBC’s directions.

An interpretation of TVL’s role in collecting revenue from the Licence Fee.

Under statutory requirements, and profit driven incentives, the TVL’s role is to ensure all corporations (including persons) that are obliged to obtain a TV licence do so at the respective rates applicable.
It appears that the personnel working within the TLV are a “rare breed”, in that they peruse their respective jobs to levels, that many think, go beyond their remit.

The BBC along with it’s trading Name “TVL” seem to have the policy that any household that does not have a TV licence is in breech of the Statutory Requirement to purchase one, irrespective if live TV broadcasts are being watched or recorded or not. The impression that the BBC and TVL are leaving is that if you do not have a licence they will intimidate you until you do purchase one.

The BBC & their trading named TVL section, have a selection of methods and tools at their disposal that they use to enforce legally required licence fee collection. These methods and tools are being used more and more not only on those that under statute requirements are required to have a licence but against people that do not either require one, or need one in the first place.

These methods and tools include the following:

The Data Base
Letters sent out
Detector vans
Hand held detector units
Inspectors
Search Warrants
Courts
Fines

To be continued....
The real wealth and power of a community is with the people.
samsmith

Re: TV Licence Knowlage base

Postby Veronica » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 am

(Yes ... I think a better spelling is "Crapita" :rotfl:)
Freedom's just another word for: "Nothing left to lose" (Janis Joplin)
"There is no path to peace, peace IS the path" (Mahatma Ghandi)
"There is no path to freedom, freedom IS the path" (Veronica Chapman)
Veronica
Founder
Founder

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 am

Not a good disguise of true purpose, missing the 'L' from CAPITAL which is what they want - is it? - 1/10, must try harder,PTB - nobs :rotfl:
They must find it hard to take Truth for authority who have so long mistaken Authority for Truth - Gerald Massey
BaldBeardyDude

Postby huntingross » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:51 am

You do not need a TV licence if you own a device or devices that are capable of receiving or recording live TV broadcast signals.

I believe the possession of this equipment is considered to be proof of use however.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Re: TV Licence Knowledge base

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:00 pm

With respect, I disagree - I believe it all depends on the definition of 'use' in use by the BBC/TVL.

Should one buy a TV and leave it in it's box unopened, can one reasonably be said to be able use it? - you will still have had to give the address to the vendor to send to TVL/BBC, obviously.

Peace and love,

Baldy
They must find it hard to take Truth for authority who have so long mistaken Authority for Truth - Gerald Massey
BaldBeardyDude

Postby huntingross » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm not being interpretive here, just that's the way they see it....they shift the proof of innocence this way....it's like pushing a motorbike without a crash helmet on your head, or sitting in your car whilst "drunk"...under the influence.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:12 pm

Yeah, I see where you're coming from and you are right, HR :yes: It all depends on the interpretation of 'use', doesn't it? - still very shady, IMO

I read my latest missive from TVL and it states

'If you do not use TV recieving equipment, such as TV sets, video or DVD recorders, digital boxes, computers and mobile phones to watch or record programmes as they're being shown, you do not need a TV licence.'

I don't - I use my massive plasma to watch films only - so they can - according to thier own letter - sod off!!

However, I am still asked to write to them, telling them I do not and they will 'contact me in due course to confirm the situation' - ie, send an officer round to my home to check - not on your nelly maties - private house!! - sod off!!

How many other private firms can ask to check you are not using a piece of legitimately purchased piece of kit?

If one buys hydroponic gear, do you have a guy come round to ensure you are not growing weed? - no. They can kiss my skinny white ass!!

Peace and love,

Baldy - Pete
BaldBeardyDude

Postby Veronica » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:18 pm

huntingross wrote:

I believe the possession of this equipment is considered to be proof of use however.

No ... if TVL are actually 'pushed' they will admit that only the USE of it is the liability. There was a case that went to the House of Lords over this point.
Veronica
Founder
Founder

Postby huntingross » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm

They WILL take possession to be use (rightly or wrongly) and they WILL place the emphasis on YOU to prove otherwise....they shift the emphasis from innocence until proven otherwise to guilt until proven otherwise....

They will state that it is incredulous to have the equipment and not switch it on....However, happy to see the transcripts of how it was argued otherwise.

I've always wondered why you can't buy BBC disabled equipment and do away with all the problem altogether....I watch films on my PC and can't wait until they go digital and I get a whopping flat screen analogue TV to watch my films...licence free.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby Veronica » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Well, they can kiss my shiny white arse as well!

The letters they send are addressed to "The Legal Occupier". That will get them a long way in court.

"Are you The Legal Occupier?"

"No. I'm an illegal occupier. Which is 50% the exact opposite. Goodbye."
Veronica
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to T.V. Licence