Bank Charges

Discuss all of your Banking, Finance and "Money" related issues here.

Bank Charges

Postby Dash » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Guys,

As of yet I have not got round to asking the bank for the contract for the over draft facility on my strawman's account as I have been dealing with other things and do not want to take on to much at once.

Anyway I had a bounced direct debit a couple of months back and the back charges for that came to £66.00 which is in my opinion ridiculous , So I write to them to say no I don’t accept that, and can you send me an explanation of why you think the charges are acceptable. They send me a standard charges booklet, so I write back and say where is the explanation?
They write back to me again and say that they are unable to give me a detailed breakdown of their charges as the business costs that underlie their administration charges are confidential to the Bank and accordingly they are not prepared to provide information of the costs incurred.

Now my question is why should I be prepared to pay for something that I feel is ridiculous when the bank are not even prepared to tell me how they come to that figure?

your thoughts
Dash

Re: Bank Charges

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:12 pm

I think the answer is the sig you gave them when opening the account. In this you signed up to all the T's and C's regarding the overdraft facility AND the charges. You were made aware of the charges - they always keep you informed of changes to same - so, they have you by the balls, m8.

Sorry, dude but that's how I see it - we never realise until times like this. I now read ALL contracts, small print AND ask questions about it.

You'll know next time you sign anything.
They must find it hard to take Truth for authority who have so long mistaken Authority for Truth - Gerald Massey
BaldBeardyDude

Postby Dash » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Maybe its time to ask for the contract then :grin:
Dash

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 pm

Now that never hurts anyone but them, does it? :wink: Keep that thinking cap on, m8 and you'll do fine :yes: :mrgreen:
They must find it hard to take Truth for authority who have so long mistaken Authority for Truth - Gerald Massey
BaldBeardyDude

Postby donkey1984 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:45 pm

SEND THE BANK THIS LETTER FOLLOWED BY THE ONE BELOW

BANKS NAME
BANKS ADDRESS
MY NAME
MY ADDRESS

Dear Sir/Madam,

Ref: Account number: ***********

Please send me a schedule of all charges & interest applied to my account including details of any instances that required manual intervention.

Please reply within ten working days of this letter.

I look forward to your response.

Yours faithfully,

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Your address]
[Your phone number]
[Date]
[Name and address of bank]
Dear Sir or Madam,
Ref: Account number: [your account number].
I would like to request a refund of all the default charges that have been applied to my account. Under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 charges must reflect administration costs and cannot be punitive. I believe that the following [enter details of charges] are unlawful as they do not reflect the true cost of going into an unauthorised overdraft.
You have taken [enter charges amount here] from me, plus [enter overdraft interest amount here] overdraft interest and I would like to request repayment of this [enter total sum] sum. I also ask you to ensure any default notices entered against my credit record are removed entirely.
Please repay this money in full and remove any default notices within 14 days. If this is not done, I will begin a claim against you for the full amount, plus interest and my costs.
Yours faithfully,
[Your signature]
donkey1984

Return to Banking Crime