Are Schools Breaking The 'Law'?

Are Schools Breaking The 'Law'?

Postby FASEN8R » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 pm

As many of you know, we homeschool our children and find it very rewarding too.

A few weeks ago my eldest stepson announced that he would like to learn about construction, something that I would love to
do too (and have the abilities locally to where we are living now) but given that we also homeschool two other lads (7 & 10 yrs)
I found this to be a challenge that I could not take on single handed.

After having a lengthy family chat it was decided that due to us being aware of how schools work, we would give our local
school the chance to provide this for him! You maybe think we are crazy for letting him go back into mainstream school BUT
dont forget we are awake to the system and if we weren't happy with anything that they try imposing upon
us.....simple.....we just deregister him again!!

We feel that we already have the upper-hand if they tried to stop us from deregistering him again because upon being
accepted into a local secondary school, Duncan sat basic tests to see which 'band' he fits into regarding his year (Year 9).
Results came back that he exceeds expectations for his year and comes out TOP in learning abilities. This was brilliant
news to us, proving that homeschooling works well for the children.

Now comes the fun part......

Once they found out his abilities they placed him in the 'top band' for his year which meant that he then had to choose his
'options', the lessons/subjects that he would like to learn about. He told the teacher that he wanted to do 'Construction'
and also had an interest in Art, to which he ticked both subjects on his 'Options Sheet'. Duncan came home that afternoon
buzzing with enthusiasm because his wishes had been granted. So he thought.....

He went in the next day and received his 'Timetable' of lessons for the next few weeks.......It didnt include Construction,
only Art!! Upon asking the teacher why he couldn't do Construction he got told it was because he was 'TOO INTELLIGENT!!' At
this point he was also informed that he could only do Construction if he was in the 'middle band' but not the 'top band'.

As you can imagine, he came home very deflated that night and thought that all his hard work had been a total waste of
time, something that we had congratulated him on considering his age and knowledge of the Education System.
I couldn't help feeling for the guy, what a downer it must of been and I wasn't going to sit back and let this happen.
Instant reactions were to deregister immediately and face up to the facts it was going to be even harder to provide what he
wanted, but I would find a way if necessary. Sarah and I contemplated the options that evening after the kids had retired
to their beds and It was only when I had the time to think straight I realised that the school were FAILING in their duty
of providing the 'required' education for my stepson! I'll try and explain my position and reasoning.......

Before we commenced homeschooling our children I did ALOT of research and studied the Education Act to see what 'they'
expected from us as 'teachers' to our children. Not as though we would bow down and comply to any demands but I scrutinised
the documents and 'preloaded my armoury' should I ever need it in the future. We, as parents, understand our children
impeccably and 'read' them regularly to ensure we are providing them with their 'needs'. When studying the Education Act
this is what makes up the whole foundations of what the authorities expect of any homeschooler, in fact ANYONE that
educates children!! It is noted within the Education Act that "every child of compulsory school age shall receive efficient
full-time education suitable a) to his age, ability, and aptitude, and b) to any special educational needs he may have,
either by regular attendance at school or otherwise."

When our local Education Officer asked to attend our family home to have a chat regarding our childrens education some
weeks ago, it was stated that our children were in fact receiving everything necessary according to this requirement. Upon
reflection of the 'requirements' detailed in the Education Act, the remedy to Duncans predicament became blatently obvious
to me. The school were FAILING their duty to provide the education that Duncan required and if the tables were turned we
would be in serious trouble for breaking the 'law'!

OK, I know the difference between the 'law' and legal statutes but hang on a sec...... As i've pointed out before, it can
often be the case where by using THEIR Acts and Statutes against them we can get a much clearer and satisfactory result.

This seemed to be a clear-cut case to me so I called the school and asked the teacher that sorted out Duncans 'Options' to
give me a call, at my convenience of course!
He rang me this afternoon and spent the first 10 minutes explaining the reasons why Duncan couldn't do Construction as his
chosen subject. I spent that 10 minutes keeping calm and collective and learning about the 'Banding System' that the school
applies to their children and their abilities. I explained that I was delighted that Duncan had proven that his last year
or so of homeschooling had really improved his abilities and that he had indeed been 'allocated' a TOP Band in the school.

At this point the teacher felt that the issue was complete and came across rather 'smug' as he suggested their 'System'
worked extremely well for their pupils. It was also at this point that I opened up and explained why I felt that the school
were failing their duties under the Education Act!! The telephone went silent!! I went on to explain that it was an
absolute must that there 'system' was required to be altered to accomodate Duncans 'needs' otherwise their breach of duty
would be taken very seriously indeed!!

The 'smugness' deteriorated like fog at sunrise!! LOL. His total attitude changed and he seemed to then be 'all ears'. The
occupier of the 'hot seat' had changed!! Once he realised that I knew my stance and wasnt afraid to use it he then went on
to explain that 'should all children have this option the schools wouldnt be able to cope due to the lack of funding'. I
told him that it was a totally irrelevant argument because funding wouldnt be taken into consideration if we as
homeschoolers weren't meeting the needs of the child! He was obviously stunned and couldn't really come up with anything
else in defense other than 'this information would be quite detrimental to the school if others were aware of it!!' I
continued to explain that this was part of the reason why we decided to homeschool in the past but had decided to put the
responsibility back into the authorities hands to provide Duncan with his wishes.

You could tell that he felt almost powerless on the telephone because there was nothing else that he could come up with
and realised that his argument had been over-ruled by facts and the 'Law'.
I finished off my 'defense' to the situation by asking him if he could provide me
with the details that stated that the schools System of 'banding' and 'options' was of higher authority than the Education
Act and if he could do that then i'd reconsider our requirements of the school!! BAM!! I had finished and awaited his
response.

After a few minutes of 'umming' and 'arring' he told me that he would have to talk to his superior that wasnt in today and
that he'd get back to me on the issue by Monday evening at the latest. He'd obviously taken it that we meant business and,
as i'd quite rightly pointed out, a breach of duty wasn't going to be looked upon as very good to the school at all. I
accepted his offer and thanked him greatly for his understanding and time to listen and for taking into consideration our
requirements for Duncans education.
We ended the phonecall and I was half way through explaining to Sarah what had been
said when the telephone rang again. This must of been only 5 or 6 minutes later.
It was the teacher i'd just been speaking to. He rang to say that he had 'actioned my requirements' and that Duncan
would indeed be enrolled into the Construction class with IMMEDIATE effect!!
He also explained that he had emailed various tutors to tell them of his decision and that
under no circumstances were they to continue with his current subject of Art.

So there we have it......

This is just another of my current achievements into providing a better future for my family and I.
I will state, yet again, that my postings are NOT for ego or recognition for my efforts. They are purely to show others
that these so called 'laws' can be used against the authorities and the 'rules' that they try and impose upon us.
If my posts help others to see the light and stand up for whats right then thats the results i'm looking for.

Namaste my friends

Kev Barefoot

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I may remember. Involve me and I Learn!!
FASEN8R

Re: Are Schools Breaking The 'Law'?

Postby knightron » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Nice one Kev..:) I love making em squirm..lol you can actually see the colour drain from their faces when you do it in person..lol I have had many problems with one of my sons, he is Autistic and the mainstream schools are shite for that..Excellent to see you giving it to em mate ..made my heart leap..:) :shake: :hug:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
knightron

Postby FASEN8R » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:08 am

knightron wrote:Nice one Kev..:) I love making em squirm..lol you can actually see the colour drain from their faces when you do it in person..lol I have had many problems with one of my sons, he is Autistic and the mainstream schools are shite for that..Excellent to see you giving it to em mate ..made my heart leap..:) :shake: :hug:

Prior to this happening they invited us along to the latest 'Parents Meeting', i'm now waiting to see if they still want us to go!! LMAO!!
It's very empowering to gain momentum in these issues. He also made it obvious that he would prefer it if I wasnt to spread the word.
I wonder why?? I told him that if there have been flaws identified in the 'system' then surely they should be addressed appropriately for
the sake of the childrens education. There's no wonder children of today feel as though they're being railroaded.... THEY ARE!!

:shake: :peace:

FASEN8R

Postby dubby » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:04 pm

This is a great result Kev. I dont suppose you recorded telephone conversation? Especially the bit that didn't want you to not share their flaws.
You should be proud of yourself... Well done that man!!!
IF YE WORRY YE DIE, IF YE DONT WORRY YE STILL DIE.
dubby

Postby FASEN8R » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:28 pm

dubby wrote:This is a great result Kev. I dont suppose you recorded telephone conversation? Especially the bit that didn't want you to not share their flaws.
You should be proud of yourself... Well done that man!!!

I'm kicking myself but no, unfortunately the phone we're using at the moment doesn't go on loudspeaker so cant record it.
As soon as he said it I knew it should of been on record. It's got to be sorted because I usually record everything like this.
Looks like a trip to Argos soon eh......

Cheers Dubs :shake: :peace:

FASEN8R

Postby ellie12022 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks for sharing that story, i hope your lad enjoys his construction class.. The only question I have is why he is now being stopped from doing Art? Do the classes clash? It doesn't sound like they would have done if he had picked both options at the start? :thinks:
ellie12022

Postby FASEN8R » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:33 pm

ellie12022 wrote:Thanks for sharing that story, i hope your lad enjoys his construction class.. The only question I have is why he is now being stopped from doing Art? Do the classes clash? It doesn't sound like they would have done if he had picked both options at the start? :thinks:

Good question.....
He's not in at the mo so cannot ask him, but I think when he had to list his choices/options he had to tick his 'preference' which was Construction but then he had to tick a second option if there were no places left for his first choice. Silly really because it turned out that he wasnt even going to get the chance of his first choice (Construction).
It now brings about the question......'What bloody options did he have anyway?' It appears that there were none to begin with!! :yawn:

:peace:

FASEN8R

Postby ellie12022 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Farcical really isn't it? You have a choice, yes, honest you do...oh wait, we don't like that choice, we'll give you another one. Of course if they'd said class was full that would have been a different issue..!
ellie12022

Postby FASEN8R » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 am

ellie12022 wrote:Farcical really isn't it? You have a choice, yes, honest you do...oh wait, we don't like that choice, we'll give you another one. Of course if they'd said class was full that would have been a different issue..!

I find it quite interesting that we have been invited to 'parents evening' this thursday (today) and were asked which teachers we would like to talk to regarding Duncan and his education. I suggested his form-tutor, the 'head of options', and the Construction teacher mainly due to recent events but also that we have already been told that his english maths and science skills are exemplary. :clap: It turns out that we cannot be given the option of seeing his form-tutor because she "doesn't teach" :puzz: ........the 'head of options' says he is 'FULLY BOOKED??' :thinks: which only leaves the guy that's teaching Duncan Construction! Now I wonder why the hell the head of options would be 'fully booked' when we are already 4? months into the school year when every other child has already chosen their options and have settled into their groups?? Seems rather strange to me...... :thinks:

It also appears that Duncan has really knuckled down to his work and is already making a great start. He seems to have almost caught up with his Construction group school mates already as he told us tonight that his Construction teacher is extremely please with his fast progress and cant wait to meet us and applaude his efforts!!
I must say I'm almost looking forward to tonights encounter!! :cheer: :giggle:

More later.........

Kev Barefoot :peace:

FASEN8R

Postby ellie12022 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Really pleased your son doing well Kev bright :cheer:

How did parent's evening go?
ellie12022

Next

Return to Children